• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who's sick to death of the Olympics already?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's sick to death of the Olympics already?

It's just a huge, tedious political/marketing exercise with junket aplenty for those who move in the right circles.

The actual 'sport' is in the main hugely boring (imho).

The BBC (et al) are just going totally overboard with it before it's even flipping started. Every TV channel and newspaper page has something about China/Olympics as though nothing else in the world mattered (except Maddie of course).

All kinds of public servants (and I include BBC journos most especially) are living it up at the taxpayers expense to cover this mightily spectacular, hugely expensive, piece of errm.. nothing.

Local council officials are even being flown to Beijing to junket on this one "just to see how it;s done".

I'm very glad to say, I won't be a UK resident when the London Olympics happens.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    All kinds of public servants (and I include BBC journos most especially) are living it up at the taxpayers expense to cover this mightily spectacular, hugely expensive, piece of errm.. nothing..
    437 BBC Journo's!!
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

The BBC certainly seem to think that the opening ceremony is more newsworthy than Russia invading Georgia.
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
        The BBC certainly seem to think that the opening ceremony is more newsworthy than Russia invading Georgia.
        Indeed. There aren't any BBC journos to cover that as they're all in Beijing.
        Last edited by bogeyman; 8 August 2008, 16:12.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          It's just a huge, tedious political/marketing exercise with junket aplenty for those who move in the right circles.

The actual 'sport' is in the main hugely boring (imho).

The BBC (et al) are just going totally overboard with it before it's even flipping started. Every TV channel and newspaper page has something about China/Olympics as though nothing else in the world mattered (except Maddie of course).

All kinds of public servants (and I include BBC journos most especially) are living it up at the taxpayers expense to cover this mightily spectacular, hugely expensive, piece of errm.. nothing.

Local council officials are even being flown to Beijing to junket on this one "just to see how it;s done".

I'm very glad to say, I won't be a UK resident when the London Olympics happens.

Comment

Most definitely agree.

Comment

I have absolutely no interest in the Olympics, but so far I have not found them at all intrusive, apart from the front page splash on the front of the BBC website.

I am dreading a British athlete winning a tin medal or something, we'll never hear the end of it

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                I have absolutely no interest in the Olympics, but so far I have not found them at all intrusive, apart from the front page splash on the front of the BBC website.

I am dreading a British athlete winning a tin medal or something, we'll never hear the end of it
                I think we're probably on safe ground here. Never gonna happen.

Comment

huh? So I take it non of you will be watching the beach volley ball games

Comment

Like anything, ever, to do with sport, it's dull, overblown, tedious and drab.

Comment

Working...
                    X