• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London 2012 organisers taken aback by enormity of Olympics in Beijing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London 2012 organisers taken aback by enormity of Olympics in Beijing

"LONDON 2012 leaders have been stunned by the sheer scale of the Beijing Olympics but have promised the Games in four years' time will be the real model for future hosts to follow.

The size of the venues and the cost of the Games in the Chinese capital has dwarfed anything that has gone before and Paul Deighton, chief executive of the London organising committee LOCOG, admitted to having some "trepidation" in his report to the International Olympic Committee."

link

i.e he's thinking "errr.. oh dear, why didn't I take the job organising the chelsea flower show"
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

I don't get it. China has a fireworks show and we tulip our pants?

Comment

London 2012 getting its excuses in early then.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
        London 2012 getting its excuses in early then.

yes
        or they will now want to go seriously over budget

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
          yes
          or they will now want to go seriously over budget
          No worries. The British tax payer has pleanty to spare.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I thought the show was HUGE but creatively quite ordinary - the dancers/painters were the highlight for me.

and the fireworks...same old tulipe, same fireworks, same routines multiplied that you see the world over - first time year 2000 was awesome - now tedious smog creating waste.

Comment

Sorted !

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...ing_pa_416.jpg
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

i like this bit,

'Deighton also confirmed that London organisers are having to massively scale back the plans for the athletes' village due to the property market slump and the credit crunch.

The original plan had been for the village to have been built at almost zero cost, with the constructors selling the apartments as residential properties after the Games. Now plans have had to be scaled back by up to 30 per cent as organisers attempt to reach an agreement with builders Bovis Lend Lease.
                '

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                  i like this bit,

'Deighton also confirmed that London organisers are having to massively scale back the plans for the athletes' village due to the property market slump and the credit crunch.

The original plan had been for the village to have been built at almost zero cost, with the constructors selling the apartments as residential properties after the Games. Now plans have had to be scaled back by up to 30 per cent as organisers attempt to reach an agreement with builders Bovis Lend Lease.
                  '

Milan.

So a fundamental component of the costing of the project was predicated on the premise that property prices only rise, and never fall

Come on then - which of you was it that didn't realise that "can sell it for a fortune in a few years if absolutely no external circumstances whatsoever alter" is not equivalent to "costs nothing"

Comment

Simple solution: Instead of putting on an expensive fireworks display that only lasts once, put up a huge screen (made of cheap paper) and project a fireworks display on that. We could make big impressive sounds with lots of speakers too. Cost: about £1.50, impressiveness: infinite. Sorted.

Comment

Working...
                    X