• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pregnancy 40+

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pregnancy 40+

My missus is about to turn 40 and she is talking about a second baby.

I know the risks are much greater.

trying to stay positive but statisics tell me otherwise...

Anyone's missus had a baby over 40? all good?

My mother had a baby at 46. And I am normal aren't I?

Seriously it was my younger sister. No problems atall.

If you are both prepared for the hard work and still have the energy - why not?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      If you are both prepared for the hard work and still have the energy - why not?
      WHS
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Our second wee boy is 5 months old and my missus just turned 41.

While there are some increased risks as you get older, they are still relatively low and older women being pregnant is pretty normal these days (I googled the stats and things have changed a lot in the last 20 years.)

What is a hard slog is the stuff that comes after the birth! I'm 43 now and my other wee guy was born when I was a mere 38, and I can really feel the difference when it comes to putting one foot in fron of the other on an extended sleep deprivation regime.

I worked 4 days a week for a few months after the birth and I reckon a few months bench-time would have been a better idea. Or servants (but not extended in-law visits)

Comment

http://pregnancyover44y.blogspot.com...-birth-to.html
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

"Risks are greater" is a dumb phrase. If chance of a problem goes from 1 in a million to 1 in 100,000 this isn't a big deal. If it goes to 1 in 10, it is.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Rantor View Post
              I reckon a few months bench-time would have been a better idea. Or servants (but not extended in-law visits)

Comment

Me and the missus are just about 40. Our oldest is nearly 17, our youngest is 11. I'm so glad I had the snip 7 years ago... We'll both prefer being grandparents - when they look sick, or start to smell, we can given 'em back to the parents.

Grandchildren - natures revenge on your children.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
                  My missus is about to turn 40 and she is talking about a second baby.

I know the risks are much greater.

trying to stay positive but statisics tell me otherwise...

Anyone's missus had a baby over 40? all good?
                  There's a much higher probability of birth defects. But most of these are minor, and she should be tested for significant things like Downs Syndrome.

Playing devil's advocate however, don't hang about because although your missus might be fit, healthy and full of energy at 40, she'll be slowing down at 50 when the child is still at junior school, and could reach her retirement age when the child is still in full-time education.

Comment

WHS. Fast forward 18yrs, when you/your missus is 60 you'll still be funding the offspring through university. When I'm 55 my youngest will have just left and I'll be taking my 25% tax free pension.

Talking of the snip, who's had one then? (Missus M is currently harping on at me about this).

Comment

Working...
                    X