• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

On your CV do you put the exact dates or just the months that you worked on a site ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On your CV do you put the exact dates or just the months that you worked on a site ?

e.g.

4th Jan 2007 - 1 July 2008

or
    Jan 2007 - July 2008

I'm asking because my contract has ended early August and I just want a holiday and I don't want to take 2.5 weeks off and then we come September have agents/employers screaming "he hasn't worked in a month, he's unemployable !".

Sadly that is the attitude in finance these days with contracting (although I don't hold up much hope in there being anything much out there right now and in the future).

Just the months.

Comment

month/year
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

month/year

There's no point or value in adding days. Nobody with any sense is going to query it and be interested in a couple of weeks or so on the bench between contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post

e.g.

4th Jan 2007 - 1 July 2008

or
          Jan 2007 - July 2008

I'm asking because my contract has ended early August and I just want a holiday and I don't want to take 2.5 weeks off and then we come September have agents/employers screaming "he hasn't worked in a month, he's unemployable !".

Sadly that is the attitude in finance these days with contracting (although I don't hold up much hope in there being anything much out there right now and in the future).

Months or even just the year. I have moved away from a typical CV style. It’ none of their F & N & G business when you go on holiday or if you wanted to work or do your own thing.

The first page of my “CV” is more like an advert. All the best info goes on the front page and not in chronological order. I had some great contract but also some dross.

Chronological order stuff goes on page two.

No information about age, marital status, hobbies etc. (You don’t get that info when you ask for a plumber do you?)

Ignorant clients should learn the difference between permanent staff, temporary, agency and contractors.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Month/year here too.

Comment

Hour/Minute/Second

No, not really, just Month/Year
              Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

As above, plus, with now being over 50 I have made it impossible for anyone to calculate my age other than being obviously over 40. Anything not directly related to the contracts I'm aiming at is left off the CV along with most of my earlier permatazoa career (or rather, lack-of career).
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

My CV is on a month/year basis, using selected longer term projects only. I do not list all contracts as some are very short, or not compatible with current situation. No personal stuff of course, or stuff more than 5 yrs old, and no gaps longer than 1 month. Clients see what I want them to see. Will probably start omitting the month and just list by year from now on.

Comment

Month/year. Three pages maximum, even though it now covers 20 years. The oldest assignments are now just one liners.

Comment

Working...
                    X