• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I get better work as a contractor than I did as a permie, what do others think?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get better work as a contractor than I did as a permie, what do others think?

Generally, I get far better, more interesting work being on the dark side than I ever got offered as a permie. I think that it's because I lack some of the paper qualifications needed nowadays but I'm older and carry a lot of experience and that's what most clients seem to want from me. Only once have I been black balled because I didn't have a degree.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

as a contractor my interesting bits are as interesting as the most interesting times as a permie.

The difference is between how often I get to work on new stuff. As a permie so much time is spent getting bored supporting the same old crap.

As a contractor you generally leave before boredom sets in. Then you get to do everything again learning from the past and introducing any new concepts which might make liofe easier.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

It's the benefit of experience. To a client you're more suitable now for the challenging and interesting work because you have a track record.

Educational qualifications become less and less important the more real experience you have, they're really only a tie breaker in the event of two closely matched candidates.
      Professional qualifications can make a difference, it depends how common they are though, for instance a decade+ ago MCSE counted for a lot, but these days there are so many MCSE's available it's become hugely devalued, Prince2 Practitioner is heading that way a bit too.

Comment

Having a long relationship with a client can usually lead to working of varied projects within thier organisation. At least that's what's happened to me.

I've had to change the relationship to avoid IR35.

Now I'm learning ASP.net for a demo next week to a potential new client.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Can't say my work is any worse, but can't say it's much better (apart from getting nearly 3x the cash).

Comment

Originally posted by bellymonster View Post
            Can't say my work is any worse, but can't say it's much better (apart from getting nearly 3x the cash).

My work in the vast majority of cases was far more interesting as a permie. I just happen to put freedom, flexibility and money above the interest in the work. It's a trade-off.

Comment

Thanks for those thoughts. I'm in Engineering. My CEng and MIMechE (got them the hard "non degree" way) has proven very valuable as a contractor. I have found I often get the jobs that the permie guys find a bit risky or a bit off the wall out of the ordinary.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

As a SAP developer, the only way up as a permie was management. Did that for a few years, even a spot of senior management. Enjoyed the power and the team building, motivational side, but got sick of politics (dealing with no-nothing dumbos), went back to programming as a contractor. More money, no stress, more holiday. And the work's interesting, what I really enjoy doing and what I feel I'm very very good at. And I've had the opportunity to gain new skills on client time. And, finally, for the last 2.5 years I've been working within 30 minutes of home.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

it's far more interesting being a contractor
                  do you think the longer you are at a site the longer you can potentially stay there because you know the people and systems so much better than a fresh contractor from outside?

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
                    it's far more interesting being a contractor
                    do you think the longer you are at a site the longer you can potentially stay there because you know the people and systems so much better than a fresh contractor from outside?
                    I agree that I find life as a Contractor more interesting, but I abandoned the perm workplace 17 years ago.
                    In my experience the answer to your question is an emphatic yes as I've had many renewals.

Comment

Working...
                    X