• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will the predicted rise in unemployment be good or bad for contractors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the predicted rise in unemployment be good or bad for contractors?

Unemployment is going to be on the up for a while, will this be beneficial for contractors as permies are replaced with contractors? Or are we all doomed to hoping our bench funds last long enough for things to pick up?
    ǝןqqıʍ

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Unemployment is going to be on the up for a while, will this be beneficial for contractors as permies are replaced with contractors? Or are we all doomed to hoping our bench funds last long enough for things to pick up?
    MacDonald's is Hiring

HTH
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Normal practice is to dump contractors first into the down turn then the permies. On the way back up, contractors first hires then permies.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        Normal practice is to dump contractors first into the down turn then the permies. On the way back up, contractors first hires then permies.
        why would unemployment be bad news? it's time to play xbox and blame the economy for the gap in your cv

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
          why would unemployment be bad news? it's time to play xbox and blame the economy for the gap in your cv
          Schools out.

Comment

It could be very bad, especially if the banks all start to dump large numbers of staff on the back of a bad six months of trading.

When I say bad, I mean the banks havent made as much as they did last year and yes, only RBS and Citi have posted actual losses and Santander has actually posted an increase in its profits over the same period last year.

So anyway, back to my point.

If the banks dump large numbers of staff then this will suck money out of the local economies that those staff all live in. No money in the local economies will hit businesses, who will not be able to repay bank dept, which in turn means more write offs and ultimately the banks make even less than in the first 6 months of the year!

Surely, our commi nulub masters should pass a law that says if you are a business that has made £100million or more in business last year then you cant make staff redundant.

I have no sympathy for banks as they should all have been putting money aside to shore them up when everything goes t1ts up....sorta like they keep telling us to put money away for a rainy day

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
              Surely, our commi nulub masters should pass a law that says if you are a business that has made £100million or more in business last year then you cant make staff redundant.

I can just hear Harriet saying now "it's the RIGHT thing to do!", as they say everything they do is. Politicians know best, obviously.

Comment

What if banks losing money start thinking that the complex computer models and IT systems costing them so much are really just a guy with a hunch who keeps working the models until he sees a figure come out that seems about right? What affect would that have on the contracting market?

Comment

What you wont hear from any of the banks is the fact that most of their UK businesses have actually increased their profits on last years efforts.

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                    +1

The good news, if you can call it that, is the market seems to be declining gradually rather than falling off a cliff. The Johnny-come-lately contractors will crawl back into permiedom, and the antipodeans will go home and sit in the sun. The real contractors left (i.e. us) will then adjust to the new market conditions.
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X