• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stamp duty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stamp duty

Why does the government want to kick start the housing market? Shirley we need a few more years of decline to bring it in line with reality? Any short term fix to get people moving isn't going to help in the long term.

As someone who wants to move from a 3 bed to a 5 bed in 2 years time with minimal outlay I'm disappointed at GB's stance.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Why does the government want to kick start the housing market? Shirley we need a few more years of decline to bring it in line with reality? Any short term fix to get people moving isn't going to help in the long term.

As someone who wants to move from a 3 bed to a 5 bed in 2 years time with minimal outlay I'm disappointed at GB's stance.
    It sometimes seems as if New Labour are infact a complete crock of tulip doesn't it?

Never mind eh?

Comment

The next election is just around the corner and that's all that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by foritisme View Post
        The next election is just around the corner and that's all that matters.
        And a different bunch of politicians with their respective noses in the trough will make any difference?

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          And a different bunch of politicians with their respective noses in the trough will make any difference?
          I don't care if they have their noses in the trough if they'll let me spend my own cash instead of taxing me lots then spending it on my behalf...
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
            I don't care if they have their noses in the trough if they'll let me spend my own cash instead of taxing me lots then spending it on my behalf...
            Do you honestly think that the Tories would repeal the taxes that have been introduced in the last decade or so?

Comment

GingerJedi was pointing out the folly of short term rather than long term solution. I was just pointing out that this government is only looking as far as the next election, not that a change of government will make all the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by foritisme View Post
                GingerJedi was pointing out the folly of short term rather than long term solution. I was just pointing out that this government is only looking as far as the next election, not that a change of government will make any difference.

I'm completely cynical about politicians, I genuinely feel British politics to be corrupt, self serving and completely without concience or common sense.
                As soon as any political party has a majority much over 30 it's completely irrelevant what the population thinks. The party whip system means that your so called "Parliamentary Representative" will toe the Party line or simply not attend as he/she is paired with a member of the other political complexion so neither will attend or vote.
                Politicians know that the first few years in power they can b0rk stuff up totally so long as they appear to pander to the masses in the last 6 months or so before an election as the voting public has almost no memory.

Comment

Do you honestly think that the Tories would repeal the taxes that have been introduced in the last decade or so?
                  Depends. When we eventually emerge from this recession, they'll hopefully slim down our somewhat bloated public sector, reducing public spending.

I should probably have emphasised the hopefully...
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

It's been a true pigs' trough since New Liebour got in. Reminds me of the worst excesses of the Loadsmoney 80s. The politicians we have are, without risk of any rebuttal, no more than hangers-on, toadies and the offal that big business wouldn't employ. Darling, in a real business, would have been keel-hauled and made unemployable long ago.

It pains me to say it, but the Tories (and they are far, far from satisfactory) have a better offering. Now that Mr & Mrs. StupidBritishArsehole have seen their 1930s semi find its real value, it'll be a bloodbath at the next election. I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X