• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Posh Calculators

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posh Calculators

I'm trying to find a nice calculator as a present for my wife (accountant in training)

Needs all the usual functions but want something a cut above the rest... is there a rolex of calculators?

Can't seem to find anything on the net
    Coffee's for closers

Spacecadet is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/cal.../design/table/

http://www.madeindesign.co.uk/prod-D...-refLc63f.html

http://www.business-gifts-supplier.c...ors_48_21.html

Not exactly rolex. But then some coont will nick it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        I'm trying to find a nice calculator as a present for my wife (accountant in training)

Needs all the usual functions but want something a cut above the rest... is there a rolex of calculators?

You suave romantic, you!

Comment

For Churchy's big mitts: http://www.bb-shopping.com/products/...Calculator.htm
          Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Presumably she uses a PC? Steer her in the direction of this little beauty and use the money for a proper gift that she'll actually enjoy!!

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post

What is a Rolex?
              1. It doesn't keep better time than a Casio.
              2. It is made of more durable and (some would say) more attractive materials than a cheap plastic watch, but not really more than, say, a 100.00 metal watch.
              3. It does cost a lot more than that, so more than anything else what it does is tell people that you can spend lots of money on something that you don't need, and that is not in itself any better-looking than an ordinary specimen.

Is that the effect that you want?

Expensive watches are sanctioned by history as jewellery, mainly I would say because within living memory a very expensive watch really was better than a cheap one; this is no longer true but the cachet survives. I would hardly expect to find that in a calculator.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                What is a Rolex?
                1. It doesn't keep better time than a Casio.
                2. It is made of more durable and (some would say) more attractive materials than a cheap plastic watch, but not really more than, say, a 100.00 metal watch.
                3. It does cost a lot more than that, so more than anything else what it does is tell people that you can spend lots of money on something that you don't need, and that is not in itself any better-looking than an ordinary specimen.

Is that the effect that you want?

Expensive watches are sanctioned by history as jewellery, mainly I would say because within living memory a very expensive watch really was better than a cheap one; this is no longer true but the cachet survives. I would hardly expect to find that in a calculator.

He's right you know. Spending big on watches is a mugs game. A couple of hundred quid will get you a watch as good as any you can buy at any price.

About £30 seems to be the top end for a calculator.

I'm sure you could get a £30 calculator and then stick £5000 worth of diamonds on it if you want to.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
                  Presumably she uses a PC?
                  Not at college, its all theory based and on paper
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

You must really hate her!

What sort of repeat business is she going to get from clients if she is seen with a Rolex-Calc? “Damn woman must be making a mint of money out of us to have one of those., mutter, mutter, ..... Won’t have her back again”.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X