• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inflation at 4.4%

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inflation at 4.4%

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7555788.stm

UK inflation up to 4.4% in July

Rising food prices are pushing inflation higher
    The UK's annual rate of inflation rose to 4.4% in July, up from 3.8% in June and more than twice the government's 2% target, official figures have shown.

The rise in the Consumer Prices Index (CPI) was higher than expected and driven mainly by soaring food prices.

High petrol prices also helped to push up inflation as the data was collected before the recent drop in oil prices.

Inflation as measured by the Retail Prices Index (RPI) - often used in pay negotiations - rose to 5% from 4.6%.

======================================

Should interest rates rise now?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Should interest rates rise now?
    No.

They should have gone up two years ago.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      No.

They should have gone up two years ago.
      "I would not have started from here" is not overly helpful is it? I guess its the most useful comment I will get from the cuk economic section though.

Comment

Inflation as measured by the Retail Prices Index (RPI) - often used in pay negotiations - rose to 5% from 4.6%.
        I hope everyone is sticking up their rates!

Boomed!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          I hope everyone is sticking up their rates!

Boomed!
          I've stuck up the rents on my tenants
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            "I would not have started from here" is not overly helpful is it? I guess its the most useful comment I will get from the cuk economic section though.

What do you expect us to say? Real interest rates are zero or, more likely, negative at the moment. Despite all the claims that we are going into recession there still seems some strength in the economy. Although, I personally think that this is due to a state of denial by consumers. Of course interest rates should go up.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
              I've stuck up the rents on my tenants
              Good man. Only "fair" as Labour would say.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                What do you expect us to say? Real interest rates are zero or, more likely, negative at the moment. Despite all the claims that we are going into recession there still seems some strength in the economy. Although, I personally think that this is due to a state of denial by consumers. Of course interest rates should go up.

There is no point in putting up interest rates when people have little disposable income, consumer spending is falling and a recession is looming. Interest rates and taxes need to come down.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                  There is no point in putting up interest rates when people have little disposable income, consumer spending is falling and a recession is looming. Interest rates and taxes need to come down.
                  Soylent Green-like solution is our only hope to cool inflation. Myself & Mrs. Dalek excepted, of course.

Comment

Working...
                  X