• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Conservatives more content

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conservatives more content

Right-wingers happy, left-wingers miserable

Apparently, it's because right-wingers don't get upset about social inequality, unlike left-wingers who are right whingers.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

I used to be a right-winger. I got fed up of crunching 'tackles' by hung-over, overweight herberts on Sunday mornings, so now I just sleep-in.
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Right-wingers happy, left-wingers miserable

Apparently, it's because right-wingers don't get upset about social inequality, unlike left-wingers who are right whingers.
      You meant the world's a tulipty place but right-wingers don't care? Not a recipe for contentment that I could live with.

Comment

Ignorance is bliss

Comment

Therefore pig ignorance must be ecstasy

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            You meant the world's a tulipty place but right-wingers don't care? Not a recipe for contentment that I could live with.
            You wishy-washy bleeding heart liberal you.

The reason more conservatively oriented people don't get upset, is because they view that people are largely responsible for their own actions. Borrow too much, you get repossessed. Whereas your average liberal wrings their hands over how awful it is that banks are allowed to lend money to people who won't be able to pay back.

Comment

The reason more conservatively oriented people don't get upset, is because they view that people are largely responsible for their own actions. Borrow too much, you get repossessed. Whereas your average liberal wrings their hands over how awful it is that banks are allowed to lend money to people who won't be able to pay back.
              And then insists on more legislation to prevent that, increase this, decrease the other, outlaw that mostly, blah, blah.

This is the fundamental difference between the overbearing state-controlled, big brother, left wing, interferring, neo communist New Labour approach and a sensible freedoms oriented right wing approach to life.

Comment

Left-wingers are illiberal on economic issues but liberal on social issues, right-wingers generally the opposite.

Comment

People are largely responsible for their own actions. If you think that pretty well all people are responsible for pretty well all that happens to them, then you either haven't seen much or haven't thought much.

If you don't think that, but don't give a toss anyway, then I suppose you're a right-winger.

Comment

Left-wingers are illiberal on economic issues but liberal on social issues, right-wingers generally the opposite.
                    That's pretty much right, if oversimplified.

I believe that people should be left to run their own lives as much as possible, both because it is right and because they do it better than anybody else. But that is true in general, not in every case.

I believe that there is such a thing as society, and it can be improved. But how best to do so, can not be known in advance.

Therefore I believe in a system of piecemeal social change, responding to results, and learning as we go; while knowing the difference between applied testable methods, and real moral principles. I believe in as much liberty as possible, but that is not infinite. I believe in not making too many rules, but making (and changing) some. I believe in not preventing people from spending their own money (I didn't say "allowing", I said "not preventing"; it is not the govt's to "allow"), but I also believe that there is such a thing as a community, expressed by delegating community powers to govt, and funding it in common; and I believe that we have some duty to our fellow citizens, our fellow humans, and our posterity.

So I don't easily classify as leftie or rightie liberal, but liberal I am: we used to call it social democrat. That didn't used to mean "indecisive wimp" and for me it still doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                    X