• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Banksy - Annoying Grafitti or Modern Art?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banksy - Annoying Grafitti or Modern Art?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/7556019.stm

A standard-issue, 3-option, CUK-approved poll, will appear here...
    Banksy's work is dirty graffiti - white-wash it immediately
    26.67%
    Banksy's work is modern-day art
    56.67%
    Andyw is better than Leonardo da Vinci
    16.67%
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

I like his work, but it's a green light for the winkers that daub badly all over London's (and elsewhere) walls, houses, and so on.

If he'd originally put his stuff on canvas, I don't think we'd have heard of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
      I like his work, but it's a green light for the winkers that daub badly all over London's (and elsewhere) walls, houses, and so on.

If he'd originally put his stuff on canvas, I don't think we'd have heard of him.
      If he only ever paints walls he owns or with the express permission of the owners before hand, no problem.

Otherwise he's a cheeky fooking vandal and 2 years inside would be a suitable reward for his efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        If he only ever paints walls he owns or with the express permission of the owners before hand, no problem.

Otherwise he's a cheeky fooking vandal and 2 years inside would be a suitable reward for his efforts.
        Sorry, but braindead actors and other types wishing to look clever and "street" have paid hundreds of thousands for his stuff, so he's now acceptable.

Comment

I like his stuff....
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
            I like his stuff....
            How would you like his stuff if you came home and found a giant mural of a hoody painted on the front of your house, for all to gawp at?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              How would you like his stuff if you came home and found a giant mural of a hoody painted on the front of your house, for all to gawp at?
              If I'd paid for it - I am sure it would be fine - which is what has happened in this case...... isn't it?

Anyway let them gawp - sure you only need a tin of paint to get rid of it....
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

It's clear from the story linked to that this work was done at the behest of the owners of the premises concerned, so it can hardly be vandalism.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  It's clear from the story linked to that this work was done at the behest of the owners of the premises concerned, so it can hardly be vandalism.
                  As I said, if Banksy owns the wall or has express permission of the owner, no problem, otherwise regardless of how "good" his handiwork is, it is graffiti and vandalism.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                    Anyway let them gawp - sure you only need a tin of paint to get rid of it....
                    If you wander around Bristol you'll find that nobody seems to take that option - in fact one excellent work on a derelict building is going to be incorporated into the atrium of the new development on the site

Comment

Working...
                    X