• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Training/courses for finance jobs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training/courses for finance jobs?

Hi all,

Need a bit of advice. I have a degree in Software Engineering and have been developing for 4 years since finishing university. I am currently working on a good contract, which should last about 7 months. Before i get into the lazy mode i am thinking of enrolling on some finance course (Part time), which will help me in the furture to get jobs with investment banks etc.

Has anyone here done any training or courses finance? I think most developers would have learnt things on the job at the investment banks but did anyof you guys do some independant learning?

Please reply and let me know which steps can i take to get into finance. Not really after big bucks just somehthing more to learn basically because i am comfertable with my Technical carreer and just want a new skill.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Amar View Post
    Hi all,

I have a degree in Software Engineering and have been developing for 4 years since finishing university.

Are you fully grown now then ?

Comment

Originally posted by foritisme View Post
      Are you fully grown now then ?
      He's contracting at the same time...
      B00med!

Comment

http://www.le.ac.uk/ulmc/dl_mscfinanceadmissions.html

Comment

Thanks for the replies, very helpful

I have been developing for a number of years and have had no problem finding contract work which requires standard technologies such as C#, ASP.Net, SQL etc. However, the finance jobs require existing knowledge of financial markets. I neither have the knowledge nore the experience so i want to study in this area in my own time. Its something i am interested in anyways.

I am only 26 and trying ensure that i dont end up being a developer whose job can be outsourced easily.

Comment

Thanks, thats exactly what i am after. Going to have a good look at this. I saw some other courses with each module cosing around £700 but this is better because it is with a university.

Comment

Do your FSA exams. Check with 7City, they're quite good. I think the ones you're interested in are the SII certificates. If you have a chat with them they'll point you in the right direction. The Unit 1 Financial Regulation paper should be enough to prove to an IB you're interested in the industry.

Most traders need to do the FR and then the Securities and Derivatives papers.
              "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Thanks Incognito, I think what you suggested may be better. I just need something to give me an overview of investment banking etc. Going to have a look

Comment

Originally posted by Amar View Post
                  Thanks Incognito, I think what you suggested may be better. I just need something to give me an overview of investment banking etc. Going to have a look
                  Try this and the other recommendations.

Comment

Working...
                  X