• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT inspection

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT inspection

just had a call from the VAT folks that I have been "selected for a routine VAT inspection"

Anyone been through one of these? What's it like?
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

are you bending comfortably?

Comment

i keep meaning to get my paperwork in a thoroughly tickety boo state. i guess it will take one of these letters to get me to do it.

Comment

nothing to bend over for....I charge VAT and at the end of each quarter I pass it on to the government. All seems pretty pointless to me to be honest.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

expenses?

are you inside or outside ir35?

Comment

outside...only been at it since September though so haven't even got a full set of books yet. Two contracts, have only claimed my travel costs and a couple of books.

A colleague reckons it might be good to be inspected now rather than in two or three years time - they might not flag me again for a while?

Comment

sorted. should have nothing to worry about (assuming you are outside). get their advice on what to keep and how to record it and store it etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                expenses?

are you inside or outside ir35?

What IR35 got to do with VAT?

AFAIK a vat inspection is to make sure that your charging vat correclty / passing the vat on not if your able to claim expenses.

The VAT man i am pretty sure cannot make a claim based on your IR35 status as they don't determine it.

Comment

What difference would it make to the VATman if you were in or out of IR35?

Comment

You might want to have a look through the HMRC's manuals - this one on SMEs may be relevant.

Then again...

Comment

Working...
                    X