• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Voting Conservative

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voting Conservative

Quite a few people here have put up the argument

"There is no point voting Tory, they won't be any better."

Let me turn the question around.

Please tell me in what way a new Conservative government taking over now would be any worse than the current government. What is there to lose by voting Conservative at the next election?

Answers on a postcard please.

I'm waiting lefty loons.

Maybe you're scared they'll stop enforcing IR35 or even repeal it.

Comment

I will not vote Tory as they called fathers feckless.

I think I will spoil my ballot paper. Just not sure how to spoil it. Maybe use it as bog roll?
      Last edited by BrilloPad; 13 August 2008, 12:55. Reason: filter replaced **** with flip!!

Comment

David Cameron as PM - will be just as bad as Tory Bliar

Comment

I don't think they could be much worse and I will be voting Tory next time, principally in the hope they keep their promise to scrap ID cards.

However I felt the same when I voted Labour in 1997.

Comment

Stunning answers against replacing our current feckless government.

Perhaps you are all worried that Britain might enter boom and bust again.

Comment

Maybe it's the fear of rising unemployment and falling house prices that keep you from changing government.

The list is endless.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Stunning answers against replacing our current flipless government.

Perhaps you are all worried that Britain might enter boom and bust again.

Well the current lot haven't managed to throw millions on the dole and 15% interest rates yet, maybe they need a bit more time?

I can understand anyone voting for the Tories now - but why anyone would have voted for them in 1997 is much more difficult to grasp unless you are so dyed in the wool you'd vote for a monkey if it had a blue rosette.

Stupid blind dogma comes in more than one colour.

Comment

Trouble is the Tories might make things worse in the short term (esp. for the poor) before they get better. I doubt I will be voting for another Blair, so for that reason I'm out.

p.s. I'm not a leftie, rightie or a middlie, I'm an individual like everyone else.
                  "I'm not". Shut up Palin.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    Well the current lot haven't managed to throw millions on the dole and 15% interest rates yet, maybe they need a bit more time?

I can understand anyone voting for the Tories now - but why anyone would have voted for them in 1997 is much more difficult to grasp unless you are so dyed in the wool you'd vote for a monkey if it had a blue rosette.

Stupid blind dogma comes in more than one colour.
                    So the interest rate was 15% in 1997 was it?

http://www.houseweb.co.uk/house/market/irfig.html

PHP Code:
                    1997 Nov 7.25 0.25 

Aug 7.00 0.25 

Jul 6.75 0.25 

Jun 6.50 0.25 

May 6.25 0.25 

1996 Oct 6.00 0.25 

Jun 5.75 % - 0.25 

Mar 6.00 % - 0.25 

Jan 6.25 % - 0.25 

1995 Dec 6.50 % - 0.25 

Feb 6.75 0.50 

1994 Dec 6.25 0.50 

Sep 5.75 0.50 

Feb 5.25 % - 0.25 
                    Another idiot with a strange memory.

PS http://www.mosler.org/wwwboard/messages/1266.shtml

Yet that achievement seems to be more linguistic than economic: Unemployment has been redefined rather than reduced.

Anyone who follows the statistics will have noticed that as the unemployment rate has gone down, disability cases have risen.

That was confirmed in a recent paper by Christina Beatty and Stephen Fothergill of the Centre for Regional Economic and Social Research at Sheffield Hallam University. It says that Britain now has more than 2.5 million non-employed adults of working age who claim sickness-related benefits -- a total that ``questions contemporary perceptions of the UK labour market'' and points to ``extensive hidden unemployment.''

As the authors rightly say, the numbers claiming Britain's so- called incapacity benefit are ``truly astonishing.'' In 1981, there were 570,000 people receiving the benefit for more than six months. By 2003, that figure had risen to 2.13 million. In addition, there were 300,000 recipients of the Severe Disablement Allowance, and 200,000 short-term claimants of the incapacity benefit, the report shows.

2.7 Million Recipients

According to Beatty and Fothergill, almost 2.7 million non- employed people of working age were receiving sickness-related benefits in August last year. That's closer to 10 percent of the 28 million employed people in the U.K. -- a number that puts the stated 2.9 percent unemployment rate in a different light.
                    Last edited by DimPrawn; 13 August 2008, 13:09.

Comment

Working...
                    X