• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Use a property loss to offset contractor tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use a property loss to offset contractor tax

I have a property development company that has made a tax loss. Are there any ways that I can use this loss shelter earnings from self-contacting? i.e. earnings from self-contracting taxed at a lower rate due to tax loss carried forward.

Many thanks for any advice,

Rich

Different business streams, so no.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I tried to offset once - accountant told me no way. I was suprised - but seems rules are very very tight in this area.

Comment

Dissapointing.

Anything that can be done here?

Comment

Originally posted by RichA View Post
          Dissapointing.

Anything that can be done here?
          I think you can offset self-employment losses against other income on your self asessment tax return but it sounds like you weren't self employed.

Comment

Does it make a difference if the property losses are current year (08/09) losses?

Hence the profit & loss for the co. will be the sum of loss from property and income from contracting. Is tax calculated on the same basis?

i.e. does the 'same trade' rule apply only to losses b/fwd or does it also apply to c/yr losses?

Thks.

Comment

Working...
            X