• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barcap

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barcap

Lots of gigs at Barcap, but I've heard it's hell, I'm a family man, any further insights? Anyone worked there and not been expected to stay till 7pm?

Well they already slashed rates once recently, so the gigs are probably to replce the ones who walked as a result.

If they think they got away with it they will do it again.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by dude69 View Post
      Lots of gigs at Barcap, but I've heard it's hell, I'm a family man, any further insights? Anyone worked there and not been expected to stay till 7pm?
      I know a good contractor who did a few months there last year. They are a pound-of-flesh mob. Long-hour culture a-go-go.

He walked.
      Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

I worked there for 6 months last year. A good challenge, but lots of politics and mini hitlers. Quite hard to get in (exams, hard interviews, lots of candidates processed).

Rates are usually well above market rate (even despite the recent 10/15% cuts dished out) which is what seems to keep contractors there rather than the working environment. Canteen serves up some great nosh

Comment

I've heard it has quality norks walking around....
          Gas masks don't fit snails...

Comment

I've heard it has quality norks walking around....
            Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes thats right....that was another reason to stay.

Comment

Against
              Some people work stoooopid hours e.g. 8am - 7pm. (and expect you to) Sackings are rife. High turnover off staff (both contract and perm) Huge politics, hidden agendas(?), whispers etc. Toilets are filthy. Horrid commute (Jubilee line or DLR - both packed to the seams)

For
              Rate, busy (never bored), great on CV, stuffed with Tottie.

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
                Against
                Some people work stoooopid hours e.g. 8am - 7pm. (and expect you to) Sackings are rife. High turnover off staff (both contract and perm) Huge politics, hidden agendas(?), whispers etc. Toilets are filthy. Horrid commute (Jubilee line or DLR - both packed to the seams)

For
                Rate, busy (never bored), great on CV, stuffed with Tottie.
                the tottie in those places doesn't look at you twice, they don't bother with computer nerds; they are more focused on the traders / high fliers and the management, you'll be lucky if they even talk to you.

As for rates, well they do pay high rates 500+ quid per day BUT given that somewhere like Bloomberg or Reuters pays like 350-400 quid per day and they do 9am to 5pm with a one hour lunch break; do you really think its worth it ?

And yes Barcap does have a high staff turn over and it is tough in there, but that is why there IT function reputedly does quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
                  the tottie in those places doesn't look at you twice, they don't bother with computer nerds; they are more focused on the traders / high fliers and the management, you'll be lucky if they even talk to you.

As for rates, well they do pay high rates 500+ quid per day BUT given that somewhere like Bloomberg or Reuters pays like 350-400 quid per day and they do 9am to 5pm with a one hour lunch break; do you really think its worth it ?

And yes Barcap does have a high staff turn over and it is tough in there, but that is why there IT function reputedly does quite well.
                  You can get £500+ at RBS, UBS, etc., for 9-5:30pm

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
                    the tottie in those places doesn't look at you twice, they don't bother with computer nerds;
                    Incorrect.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X