• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Toynbee bashing - my favourite sport

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toynbee bashing - my favourite sport

And done well too:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle4488462.ece

Well worth a read.
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Staying with education, I see that primary schools will be weighing children and informing their parents of the results, but they will not be allowed to use the medical term “obese”, because it might cause offence. This is excellent news because the forbidding of words and the compulsion to euphemism leads to so much more ingenious ways of writing what you mean:

“Dear Mr and Mrs Wisbeech, your son, Arnold, has been weighed in the balance... and broke it.”

“Dear Mr and Mrs Funt, your daughter, Ellie, has not been weighed today, as planned, because when she took off her dress prior to mounting the scales the doctor laughed so hard he had an embolism.”

“Dear Mr Jarse, your son, Hugh, was weighed today. We are not saying he is fat, we are just saying that from next term we will be charging fees for both of him.”

“Dear Mrs Hunt, your son, Eric, was weighed today and the school doctor will be writing to you with the results just as soon as he can break free of Eric's gravitational pull.”

“Dear Mrs Hunt, your other son, Warwick, was also weighed. Tell you what, if you can guess his weight to the nearest stone, we'll forget about all those broken chairs.”
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      I love the way the names become progressively more risqué. You can sense his anger growing steadily with each one.

Giles Coren, a chip off the old block. Good man.
      The vegetarian option.

Comment

Warwick Hunt

excellent. laughed aloud at that one

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Ha ha! Made my day that.

I hate that rancorous old hypocrite La Toynbee with every fiber of my being.

Good bloke that young Coren.

Must go and watch that clip of Toynbe getting bitch-slapped by Littlejohn on Question Time - will cheer me up even more.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

his last piece of writing:

http://popbitch.com/promotion/

Comment

Originally posted by dude69 View Post
              his last piece of writing:

http://popbitch.com/promotion/
              He sounds a tad miffed
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
              X