• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The contracting model - salespersons

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The contracting model - salespersons

I'm surprised other industries and professions don't use the flexible (and ultimately expendible) model of the contractor?

For example, a companies salesforce.

Top 10% of salespersons get all the sales bonuses.

Middle 80% get their basic daily rate.

Bottom 10% get their instant marching orders out of the door by security.

The easy hire and fire of a contractor would fit this business model, and with a good B2B contract, no IR35 and no risk of employment tribuneral.

What does the baying crowd think?

See this stirred the imaginations here.

I'll stick to the Daily Mail for inspiration.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

"I have bored all to death" instead of "See this stirred the imaginations here"

Comment

The headline promised so much...I was expecting Fortune Green type pics of salesperson models. I was sorely disappointed

Comment

Employees of Investment bank my wife works for have annual reviews. Managers are required to designate one in five employees as underperforming. Two underperformings and you're out.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
            Employees of Investment bank my wife works for have annual reviews. Managers are required to designate one in five employees as underperforming. Two underperformings and you're out.
            Yes but as employees, especially if you is not white, a lady or of dubious sexual preference, you'd take them to the cleaners if they fired you as an employee.

However, hire contractors with an immediate termination for any reason clause, and you are home scot free.

So the question is, why doesn't the whole world move to the Contractor model of getting things done?

Comment

So the question is, why doesn't the whole world move to the Contractor model of getting things done?
              I had thought that this would happen a long time ago. I dont understand why companies that use lots of temporary staff dont insist on sub contracting Ltd companies. Burger flippers, till jockeys and as you say sales people. Anybody who works through an agency too.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

1) Contractors are expected to come in and hit the ground running - permies are expected to be trained - you would end up spending to much money trying to get already trained people as opposed to paying a lot less and training them yourself.

2) If you can drop them at drop of a hat they can drop you in a similar way

3) Very little chance of building any B2B relationships if your staff are not engaged in your business ethos and know they can be dropped on a whim.

4) Some people actually want permy jobs if you only offered temp ones you WILL only get the dregs from the bottom of the barrell

5) Lots of employers used to do this pre 1998 - recently employment legislation has put paid to having huge amounts of temp staff who can be turned on and off like a tap.

6) Managers will not look at figures but will keep the staff they like (who may be their 'friends') and will dump the ones who they do not like (especially if they are very good and threaten the managers positon)

cannot be bothered thinking of any more but bet there are loads!

Comment

I know a sales manager who was contracting and then left when they wanted to make her permanent... because she would be earning less.

The thing with sales is it is all about commission so if people don't make their targets just get their low-ish base salaries anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
                    I know a sales manager who was contracting and then left when they wanted to make her permanent... because she would be earning less.

The thing with sales is it is all about commission so if people don't make their targets just get their low-ish base salaries anyway.
                    Contractors are quite often "bumbs on seats". They are not accountable, they are there either to do a job or for political reasons. Contractors are rarely measured, however some of them are subjected to extreme levels of stress and a great deal is demanded of them. Most contractors perform to a very high level, giving clients a great deal of reassurance along the way.

Sales people are very easy to measure. Their jobs are easy to define, as are their day to day activities. There is no similarity between sales people and contractors at all.
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X