• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you're thinking of contracting in 2009...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're thinking of contracting in 2009...

don't bother.

Freelance contractors will be among IT’s big losers in 2009
    contractor market 2009

So ....who's prepared?
    I'm alright Jack

The article simply suggests there is increased outsourcing which is nothing new and agreed on it is not imminent treat.

Comment

Its bad now, I'm on my lowest rate for 5 years.

I was sent a renewal three weeks ago but with one week to go the agent has only just noticed that I haven't signed it yet, I asked for more money and they got quite angry and said they would have to ask the client but didn't fancy my chances, I assumed they would just cut their margin a bit and live with it but it turns out they really have asked the client... one of the client boss's wants a quiet word now and he's doesn't look too happy.

Bugger.

You say it's going to get worse...
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

I was sent a renewal three weeks ago but with one week to go the agent has only just noticed that I haven't signed it yet, I asked for more money and they got quite angry and said they would have to ask the client but didn't fancy my chances, I assumed they would just cut their margin a bit and live with it but it turns out they really have asked the client... one of the client boss's wants a quiet word now and he's doesn't look too happy.

Bugger.

Minimum wage by 2010
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Yip totally prepared, its gonna be my best working year ever.

Comment

Currently discussing which of the clients 2010 projects could best use my, ahem, "expertise".

Fingers crossed.

Comment

I have fooked orf abroad again. I was planning to return, but it doesnt look likely anymore.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                I have fooked orf abroad again. I was planning to return, but it doesnt look likely anymore.
                TLG, How are you finding the weekly commute?

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

Bugger.

If the client wants to know why you are rising rates, point out that official inflation figures (RPI) are 5% and so, without a rate rise you are actually earning less and less. Nothing to do with greed, simple cost of living.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                    TLG, How are you finding the weekly commute?
                    I am ignoring it.
                    WHere I am is about 10 hours travel from home so I am not bothering. The wife comes over for weeks at a time and we are weekending in Austria, Switzerland and northern Italy instead. What a bugger. Oktoberfest then ski season coming soon too.

[edit] I dont mind the weekly commute. I am from NW UK and have never worked at home since I was sixteen (now 44). It is easier to commute to central europe by air than it is to the sarf by road or train and a lot more pleasant when you get there.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X