• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Here come some more red tape (and probably taxes)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here come some more red tape (and probably taxes)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7561396.stm

The Commission said that few landlords belong to a representative body. It has called for landlord accreditation schemes to be set up in every council area.

It wants landlords to either join one of these schemes, become a member of a private landlords association or rent out premises through an accredited letting agent.

All of these professional bodies would then be overseen by the central regulator, called a housing standards monitor.

That's the BTL brigade in for some red tape and extra costs. I expect you will need an annual government licence and this will cost big ££££ and probably a cap on rents, legally enforced.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

The Commission said that few landlords belong to a representative body. It has called for landlord accreditation schemes to be set up in every council area.

It wants landlords to either join one of these schemes, become a member of a private landlords association or rent out premises through an accredited letting agent.

All of these professional bodies would then be overseen by the central regulator, called a housing standards monitor.

That's the BTL brigade in for some red tape and extra costs. I expect you will need an annual government licence and this will cost big ££££ and probably a cap on rents, legally enforced.
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

its already being trialed in salford, manchester. pain in the ass.

Comment

...That's the BTL brigade in for some red tape and extra costs. I expect you will need an annual government licence and this will cost big ££££ and probably a cap on rents, legally enforced.
        and the possibility of your licence being removed at any time. With the result that you could no longer rent your property. Of course you couldn't evict the tenants either.....

Comment

Slum landlords will be red-taped out of business.
          I maintain extremely high letting standards, I ensure the property is properly maintained and is pleasant to live in.
          I have Gas and Electrical certification, and redecorate prior to a new tenant moving in. If they want to red-tape me, rents will go up, and standards will go down.

No Problem.
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
            Slum landlords will be red-taped out of business.
            I maintain extremely high letting standards, I ensure the property is properly maintained and is pleasant to live in.
            I have Gas and Electrical certification, and redecorate prior to a new tenant moving in.D
            Me too but what a pain. I thought HMO and deposit schemes were bad enough. One small slip and you're a criminal unknowingly. Enemies of freedom, the lot of them.
            Last edited by Lockhouse; 15 August 2008, 07:28.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

It's only fair!

Comment

If you increase regulation, then even fewer properties will be available to let. Only New Lie could possibly think that this is a good thing, but then they have a track record of miscalculating markets. Like others, I view this a prelim to more stealth taxes.

My mate was a landlord and his tenant kept refusing to pay his rent and appeared to be deliberately breaking things in order to facilitate this excuse. After weeks of non-payment, he eventually turfed him out after about 3 months, but had to pay a 2,000 pounds fine for illegal eviction.

Also, a neighbour of mine rented his 4-bed house and the tenants caused approx. 70,000 pounds of malicious damage to the property.

It's stories like this that have made me reluctant to let, and further regulation will make people even more reluctant to let rooms.

Comment

Actually what that shows is not a government desire for more red tape and more taxes; underneath that it shows a deep-seated mindset that things should not be done by individuals, but by society. It is not that they mind exactly what private landlords do, they just mind that they are not doing it as part of society. So: become accredited, join an association, or use an accredited agent.

Just like IR35: be an employer, or an employee. Don't try to be neither, that does not compute. We don't mind whether you're MyCo's employee or BigCo's employee, but you've got to be somebody's or you don't fit our worldview.

Comment

And for those of you who are landlords. You are aware of the new energy certification rules? Think it comes in effect in October or thereabouts.

That is that you have to have one of these crappy energy performance surveys (thats right when letting out a house) in line with the instruction by the eurocrats and then our bast@rd government passing on the cost to the individual. Ohh I could go on about this bast@rd government....especially with the hangover i'm nursing.

Government Direct

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndC...Home/DG_076370

conned
                    Last edited by conned tractor; 15 August 2008, 10:07.

Comment

Working...
                    X