• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Dubai.... would you? Should I?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Dubai.... would you? Should I?

Hello,

I've been offered a one year contract in Dubai. Never been before, but been looking to get out of london for a while. I really want a change. Admittedly, New York, Tokoyo, Amsterdam, etc, would've been higher on my list of places to live for a year.. but this is the offer I've got in front of me.

Has anyone here worked out there? any stories?

I'm 30, no family or ties, and just fancy a change and some new life experiences for a bit..

It is really hot out there during summer. 40-50 degrees.

Which means you'll not be able to get outside without roasting.

Is your contract at a decent rate? I thought Dubai being close to India was awash with cheap indians?

Comment

Originally posted by WPFer View Post
      any stories?
      There's this one

Be careful out there...

Comment

Remember you'll only be tax exempt on your earnings if you work a full tax year, not calendar year. Therefore if you went out there before April 2009 you would only become tax exempt in April 2010.

Dubai can also be expensive.

Comment

I know a guy who worked through Axon in Dubai. He got a pay cut when he wasn't prepared to work (be present) for the same long hours as his Indian colleagues... and Axon had possession of his passport. He said Dubai itself was an ok place, just be careful who you're working with.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

No Pot Noodles, especially in public, or they might cut your hands off.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
              That would be a most disappointing end to a 'Pot Noodle'...
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                To be fair, i you are "eating pot noodles" in public, it's probably deserved.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  To be fair, i you are "eating pot noodles" in public, it's probably deserved.
                  Who knows what you can get away with eating, with those big robes on ...
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                    Who knows what you can get away with eating, with those big robes on ...
                    No need for that

Comment

Working...
                    X