• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Incompetent programmers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incompetent programmers

I guess if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

My Mrs. had a photo session at playgroup, just received login details.

Thumbnails of each photo (about 30 photos total) and an offer to buy at £10/each plus £20 if you want the .jpg.

Hmm, right click disabled, so right click on the image, not diasbled, but seems they've positioned a transparent gif over the top.

Ok, view source, find <iframe> tag, paste URL, view source again, find image URL, go to URL, all nicely sequential, save to disk, job done, no password protection on the images, so you can view random other people's photos as well.

This is why I'm worth £1000/day (well I'll work for half that, but I'm WORTH that much).

Incompetent programmers
    Incompetent web builders¨

Oh, and seeing as people have been done for hacking, simply by attempting to go to the higher directory ( for example, www.contractoruk.com\.. ) expect plod to be feeling your collar anytime soon.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by dude69 View Post
      This is why I'm worth £1000/day (well I'll work for half that, but I'm WORTH that much).
      Err, no. my 14 year old could figure that one out.

The only ways to prevent images being stolen online are:

1) Don't make the full-sized image available

2) Watermark the image with something obvious and hard to remove (like stock photo agencies do).

If you have the full-sized image sitting accessible by a URL then you're wasting your time disabling right click and all that other pointless nonsense.

Knowing this does not make you worth 1K a day, old boy.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
        Err, no. my 14 year old could figure that one out.

The only ways to prevent images being stolen online are:

1) Don't make the full-sized image available

2) Watermark the image with something obvious and hard to remove (like stock photo agencies do).

If you have the full-sized image sitting accessible by a URL then you're wasting your time disabling right click and all that other pointless nonsense.

Knowing this does not make you worth 1K a day, old boy.
        Perhaps not, but the people who do know this are clearly not working for the peanuts they paid their staff to have the website built.

Comment

Hmm! just googled playgroup photo's.
          By process of elimination it is quite easy to:
          1. locate which playgroups have recently had photo sessions
          2. Which Photo studio took the photo's
          3. Which Photographers have online selection
          4. Which Photographers offer a selection of approx 30 photo's
          5. Which Photographers have an an offer to buy at £10/each plus £20 if you want the .jpg.
          6. Which Photographers have positioned a transparent gif over the top
          7. Which Photographers have Right click disabled
          8. Which Photographers have no password protection on the images, so you can view random other people's photos as well.

You're nicked
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Print off copies of the photo's and offer to the other mum's for a fiver a go -I presume they have not put a copyright on them!
            Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Incompetent web builders¨

Oh, and seeing as people have been done for hacking, simply by attempting to go to the higher directory ( for example, www.contractoruk.com\.. ) expect plod to be feeling your collar anytime soon.
              Anyone done for trimming URLs must have a rubbish defence brief, considering the URL is displayed and modifiable on the address line in any browser. Surely the principle must be that content is legitimately available unless it isn't?!
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Here's the details of what Dan Cuthbert did: http://www.scl.org/editorial.asp?i=1098
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You won't be getting £1000 a day when the dirty squad find out you've a hard drive full of questionably-obtained photos of other peoples' nippers, matey.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                    You won't be getting £1000 a day when the dirty squad find out you've a hard drive full of questionably-obtained photos of other peoples' nippers, matey.
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                    X