• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This made me laugh

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This made me laugh

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle4542452.ece

"As I watched these Nordic gods, with their equally muscular currency, jog around the Djurgarden I wondered: “Why is your standard of living so superior when we work the longest hours in Europe and your shops all shut at 6pm?”

Reminds me of my time in Norway - perhaps if Brits exercised as much we'd feel happier too, happier about going to work while being more productive at the same time for less hours. Could not stay they're in the winter though...
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle4542452.ece

"As I watched these Nordic gods, with their equally muscular currency, jog around the Djurgarden I wondered: “Why is your standard of living so superior when we work the longest hours in Europe and your shops all shut at 6pm?”

Reminds me of my time in Norway - perhaps if Brits exercised as much we'd feel happier too, happier about going to work while being more productive at the same time for less hours. Could not stay they're in the winter though...
    The higher standard of living only applies to the unemployed and those in 'social need'. This is paid for by penal taxes and madly inflated prices for everything especially booze, cars and pizzas!

As for this god like thing, maybe that is in the capital as the best and richest people in any country tend to congregate, but go to any provincial city like Stavanger and you'll find plenty of slobs and slappers just like in provincial UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
      The higher standard of living only applies to the unemployed and those in 'social need'. This is paid for by penal taxes and madly inflated prices for everything especially booze, cars and pizzas!

As for this god like thing, maybe that is in the capital as the best and richest people in any country tend to congregate, but go to any provincial city like Stavanger and you'll find plenty of slobs and slappers just like in provincial UK.
      I was in Stavanager last year and like many of the towns along Norway's coast, the people enjoy a higher standard of living than what we might be used to in the UK.

But I don't agree that those standards only belong to the unemployed, I don't even believe it is anything particularly to do with the state, I'm more inclined to believe that it is the people that make it what it is. They all seem so positive and outgoing moaning still featured but not as much as you'd get in the UK and yet we're no were near taxed as much.

I think for me what made the biggest difference was the feeling of space Britain would need to be the size of Oz to get that same feeling. We're cramming to the point of bursting here it is no wonder we're struggling.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        I think for me what made the biggest difference was the feeling of space Britain would need to be the size of Oz to get that same feeling. We're cramming to the point of bursting here it is no wonder we're struggling.
        Population of United states: 300 Million. Population of United Kingdom: 100 Million (no one knows for sure any more, so estimated upwards). Let's import lots and lots more people, you know it makes sense. Boomed.

Comment

Switzerland has a high standard of living, and reasonable tax rates. The article made me laugh too - I'm paid in Swiss Francs.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Stavanger Twinned With Harlow.

Now that made me laugh

Comment

Working...
            X