• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cost of living - Germany -unbelievable

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of living - Germany -unbelievable

On holiday in Germany at parents-in-law, near Stuttgart.

Went to a Bundesliga match (i.e. premier league) today in Karlsruhe, ticket cost = €17 x 2

Lunch for 2 (2 pasta dishes, €3.90 each!!! 2 beers, €3 each, 2 coffee's €2 each).

Total cost of a great day out = GBP40!!! This wouldn't even cover the cost of a premier league ticket.

Beat that in Central Europe. We are being ripped off big time in Britain!!!

I'm moving over man ...

Originally posted by bobsmithldn View Post
    2 beers, €3 each
    Nice.
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

On holiday in Germany at parents-in-law, near Stuttgart.

Went to a Bundesliga match (i.e. premier league) today in Karlsruhe, ticket cost = €17 x 2

Lunch for 2 (2 pasta dishes, €3.90 each!!! 2 beers, €3 each, 2 coffee's €2 each).

Total cost of a great day out = GBP40!!! This wouldn't even cover the cost of a premier league ticket.

I'm moving over man ...
      Yep, I noticed the same thing in Ahrensburg back in 2000. Restaurants in Germany are dead cheap compared with rip-off UK.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The ticket might be cheap, but the beer and coffee isn't, unless you always visit Londons finest. Of course with sterling suffering a devaluation greater than the 1992 ERM debacle, to many Europeans, the UK is now cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
          The ticket might be cheap, but the beer and coffee isn't, unless you always visit Londons finest. Of course with sterling suffering a devaluation greater than the 1992 ERM debacle, to many Europeans, the UK is now cheap.
          You're right. For a long time spirits in Switzerland were cheaper than in the UK. Now UK prices are slightly less.

What amazed me when I visited at the beginning of the month was how many shops had sales at up to 70% off. So with the Franc/pound rate, unbelievably cheap.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

2 coffee's €2 each
            What a rip off! Just been travelling around Italy sipping a great coffee at autogrill for 50 cents a cup.
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
              What a rip off! Just been travelling around Italy sipping a great coffee at autogrill for 50 cents a cup.
              Great, but while drinking your coffee the contents of your car gets stollen.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

On holiday in Germany

I'm moving over man ...
                I wish people would just stop going on and on about this mythical "rip off Britain". These same people have usually never lived abroad.

How much do you pay for your current account ? Nowt I would guess. I pay a monthly fee - rip off Europe !!

And you haven't seen the outrageous prices you have to pay for second hand cars in France. Rip off Europe !!

And the rates here. Rip off... well you get the idea.

So please shut the **** up.

Seriously.

Comment

I get tax relief on my Dutch mortgage (ie. half my mortgage repayment back).

Rip off Europe!!... oh, wait.....
                  Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
                    I get tax relief on my Dutch mortgage (ie. half my mortgage repayment back).

Rip off Europe!!... oh, wait.....
                    True, but I rememebr nearly crying every month when I'd see 55% of my wages disappearing to the tax man ...
                    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                    X