• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

For all you Unix Haters...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For all you Unix Haters...

http://www.onlinefreeebooks.net/free...dbook-pdf.html

Bear in mind that this was published in 1994, so much of what it says is about as relevant to modern versions of Unix as criticism of Windows 3.1 is to Vista or XP...

...but it's still a funny book, and there's some good computer science in there

Comment

1994 and it is being touted by zeitghost as a must read? Surely you mean 1894?
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Why would anyone hate Unix, my Sky box runs the crap

Comment

Originally posted by bodnobal View Post
          Why would anyone hate Unix, my Sky box runs the crap
          "Many users had come from systems that they felt were far more sophisticated in computer science terms, and were tremendously frustrated by the worse is better design philosophy that they felt Unix and much of its software encapsulated."

Probably the same attitude that led Dijkstra to assert that "Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea which could only have originated in California"

But he's the guy who first argued the harmfulness of GOTO (which was an important point to make in stressing the necessity for structured programming, when programming was still a virtually unknown craft) so I shall continue to define my classes and instantiate my objects, whilst also continuing to explore the writings of such progenitors of the craft of software in the hope that I can keep on getting better at writing it

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            "Many users had come from systems that they felt were far more sophisticated in computer science terms, and were tremendously frustrated by the worse is better design philosophy that they felt Unix and much of its software encapsulated."

Probably the same attitude that led Dijkstra to assert that "Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea which could only have originated in California"

But he's the guy who first argued the harmfulness of GOTO (which was an important point to make in stressing the necessity for structured programming, when programming was still a virtually unknown craft) so I shall continue to define my classes and instantiate my objects, whilst also continuing to explore the writings of such progenitors of the craft of software in the hope that I can keep on getting better at writing it
            There is nothing wrong with the use of "goto" in the "right" place!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              There is nothing wrong with the use of "goto" in the "right" place!
              usually at line 20

Code:
              20 GOTO 10
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                There are few constructs that surpass the sheer elegance of
                Code:
                       ASSIGN200TOK
                       GOTOK
                except
                Code:
                       ASSIGN20TOK
                       GOTOK
                ?
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                X