• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting out

Hi there,

I'm currently working in a permanent desktop/server/network support role in a 1st/2nd line capacity, supporting approx 1000 users across SMEs in London and the South East. I'm getting itchy feet and am attracted by the flexibility and higher pay to be found as a contractor.

Current salary is £22k - what's the average I can expect to earn as a contractor?

I'm just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar position and made this transition? Were there any resources or companies you found to be particularly helpful?

Ju

Originally posted by ImolaJu View Post
    Hi there,

I'm currently working in a permanent desktop/server/network support role in a 1st/2nd line capacity, supporting approx 1000 users across SMEs in London and the South East. I'm getting itchy feet and am attracted by the flexibility and higher pay to be found as a contractor.

Current salary is £22k - what's the average I can expect to earn as a contractor?

I'm just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar position and made this transition? Were there any resources or companies you found to be particularly helpful?

Ju
    I made the transition from 2nd/3rd level support as a permy to contract, but it was 17 years ago, back then £30 /hour wasn't atypical for an experienced support person. These days with so many people having taken the courses offered by Advent, Certek etc lured by adverts claiming that the average IT salary is £37k or some such bull the rates have dropped dramatically with no forseeable rise ever.
    Admittedly I got out of support years ago, but a good friend insists on staying in support and has been contracting for 15.5 years. These days he considers himself fortunate to get £20 an hour and he's very experienced.
    £15/hour isn't unusual and appreciably less isn't that rare in general PC/server/network support.

Comment

Time for a change in career me thinks!!
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I know up North £20 is considered a good rate for a contractor, I am currently on £18 an hour, in a role I don't really like but with the contractor market the way it is I dare not move.

I haven't seen a Server support role or similar advertised up north for a decent daily rate for a LONG time now.

With the way the contracting market is going taking a permanent role seems a whole lot better these days.

Comment

Thanks for your advice guys

I'm based in Sussex and about an hour's commute from London, so it looks like the going rate is around £20p/hr for my level of experience.

I've actually managed to secure an interview for a nice looking contract supporting IT and Broadcast systems at the BBC so fingers crossed for that one.

fmz98, you mentioned "the way the contracting market is going" - what do you mean? Is this because of the current credit crunch / looming recession or is there some other reason for this?

Thanks,
          Ju

Comment

Working...
          X