• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daily Doom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Doom

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...g-society.html

Household bills are likely to soar by £2,500 a year as the official rate of inflation reaches 7 per cent, it has been claimed.

Families who have already been hit by large increases in food, energy and fuel prices face another 12 months of misery according to a study.

The findings come as the British Chamber of Commerce prepares to become the first leading business group to predict a recession in Britain.

Research by the Chelsea Building Society suggests the cost of food alone will go up by £734 over the coming year to £6,757 for an average household - a rise of some 12 per cent.

It predicts the annual cost of motoring will rise by £574, or around a third, to £2,264. For housing costs, Chelsea predicts an annual increase in rents of 9 per cent, or £672, taking the annual figure to around £7,600.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-Britain.html

Some 300,000 workers will lose their jobs by 2011 as Britain falls into a recession, a leading business group warned last night.

The number of people out of work could rise to almost two million over the next three years, according to the British Chamber of Commerce.

In what is the first prediction of recession by a major business group, they warned that unemployment will soar by between 250,000 and 300,000 by 2011.

Once other elements are added to the equation its experts claim total spending will need to rise by £2,546.55 over the next year to allow the average household to maintain the same standard of living they currently enjoy.

The study also shows an increase in gas and electricity prices of around £190, taking bills up to £1,089.

However, other analysts suggest the real increase will be closer to £1,400.

Chelsea calculates that inflation will hit 6.7 per cent over the coming year while for pensioners, who spend more of their income on food and energy, it could reach 8 per cent.

Are you sure you're not NickyG?

Aren't we depressed enough with the weather without all this economic Doom & Gloom - mongering?
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Lots of doom in the last week or so.
      Job losses are a major factor and according to CUK there are lots of BTLers struggling to pay their mortgages.

Hold on tight boys.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
        Aren't we depressed enough with the weather without all this economic Doom & Gloom - mongering?
        Yes.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
          Hold on tight boys.
          I've been 'holding on' all frikkin' year! I want this goddamn gloom to pass and then I'll stop putting off changing my car!

Comment

I love the smell of doom in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

You're just a depressing little winker, aren't you
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                I've been 'holding on' all frikkin' year! I want this goddamn gloom to pass and then I'll stop putting off changing my car!
                The big drop is going to come round about Xmas. Redundancies, recession and a collapse in house prices just in time for the festive season. Wont pick up again for about 18 months (min).
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                  You're just a depressing little winker, aren't you

Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Whoever smelt it, dealt it...

Comment

Working...
                    X