• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

health service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

health service

Had enough of the UK's health system. It's taking months to get a consultant appointment, can't get it on days that I want (like Monday or Friday, I'm not even daring to dream of Saturday). Catalogue of other messups, lost docs, unnecessary repeat visits M-F, being expected to guess that I had to request repeat prescription in writing 48h notice, etc etc.

Oh and a final insult: they gave me an appointment on a Friday. Then just before it, they changed it to a Wednesday. I said I couldn't make Wednesdays. So they put it in file as "patient cancelled appointment". No guys, you cancelled it! Grrr!

Questions:
    1. anybody have experience with Bupa or other? Is it worth it?
    1a. is it worth joining PCG for its discount (as usual I can't find out PCG benefits until I join)

2. anybody just tried going private and paying it oneself? Will that get me an appointment on a Saturday? (It's worth paying up to £500 for it if it does).

3. anybody tried going private and paying, in another country? Germany for example?

4. ..... where do I tick to opt out of the taxes for this pile of .....?

You should pay a lot more tax.

It's because people like you think paying half your income in tax is enough. When will you selfish right wingers realise that unless we give all our money in taxes, we are not going to get good service.

Worked in communist Russia.

HTH

Comment

PS. I blame Thatcher 20 years ago for everything.

Comment

If you are concerned about your health does it really matter what it costs?. What value has peace of mind.

I had an opp. under BUPA & it was very quick (set up within 1 week) & professional
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

Not having private health insurance in the UK is taking a big risk. IMHO it's very worth it. We use BUPA which costs about £160per month for two 45+ year olds.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            Not having private health insurance in the UK is taking a big risk. IMHO it's very worth it. We use BUPA which costs about £160per month for two 45+ year olds.
            That is true of any 3rd world country such as Britain.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              PS. I blame Thatcher 20 years ago for everything.
              When Thatcher said "the NHS is safe in our hands", the comment from my GP at the time was, "did you ever hear such lies?".

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                If you are concerned about your health does it really matter what it costs?. What value has peace of mind.

I had an opp. under BUPA & it was very quick (set up within 1 week) & professional
                I agree. Even if I were to consider only the money, just imagine what an illness or incapacity would do to the budget!

What I really meant was, can anyone help me compare 3 options?
                - private insurance
                - private treatment without insurance
                - private in other countries

I note that this is an existing condition, so I suppose that it would not be covered by insurance?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  I note that this is an existing condition, so I suppose that it would not be covered by insurance?
                  Correct (as far as I am aware) no insurance will cover pre-exisiting conditions & they can be right blighters for that - an ear ache 5 years ago that you did not declare is ofc related to the brain tumor you had so they can't possibley cover the costs & your policy is void as you failed to declare.

If you are getting a new policy the best thing you can do is to go to your doctor have them print of a complete history & attach it to your application & make referance to the attachement in the appliction, getting money out of insurance companies is like getting Mr Brown to tell a truth
                  Growing old is mandatory
                  Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Had enough of the UK's health system. It's taking months to get a consultant appointment, can't get it on days that I want (like Monday or Friday, I'm not even daring to dream of Saturday). Catalogue of other messups, lost docs, unnecessary repeat visits M-F, being expected to guess that I had to request repeat prescription in writing 48h notice, etc etc.

Oh and a final insult: they gave me an appointment on a Friday. Then just before it, they changed it to a Wednesday. I said I couldn't make Wednesdays. So they put it in file as "patient cancelled appointment". No guys, you cancelled it! Grrr!

Questions:
                    1. anybody have experience with Bupa or other? Is it worth it?
                    1a. is it worth joining PCG for its discount (as usual I can't find out PCG benefits until I join)

2. anybody just tried going private and paying it oneself? Will that get me an appointment on a Saturday? (It's worth paying up to £500 for it if it does).

3. anybody tried going private and paying, in another country? Germany for example?

4. ..... where do I tick to opt out of the taxes for this pile of .....?
                    Where are you living exactly? In the Germany thread you talked about just receiving your NL salary slip, and mortgage deductions etc and now you're talking about months spent waiting in the UK health system ...
                    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                    X