• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monthly inquiry into the distribution and services sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monthly inquiry into the distribution and services sector

How many people get the above form to fill in every month from the Office for National Statistics? I've just started getting them, and must admit that I resent having to fill them out. I don't see why I should be an unpaid stats collector for the government. I particularly dislike that if you don't return them within a couple of days that you get letters threatening fines and legal action. I tend to spend significant periods away from home base and can't arrange my life around these damn things.mad

Never been sent one.
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

How public spirited of you. Britain needs more like you.
      The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Make the numbers up.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Make the numbers up.

Why not ?!! They do on everything else !!

Comment

Unlucky!

The MIDSS is only sent to 30,000 businesses in the UK.

You are one of them. The ONS will endlessly waste your time with this crap regardless of your ability to complete their forms.

Currently, compliance costs are £3.87M to the businesses and £2M to govt.

Money well spent I'd say

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I had them send me some form or other about a decade ago, it wanted all sorts of numerical info. I called them to find out what the hell they meant when they said that there were penalties for failing to fill in the form.

I sent it back with a set of "estimated" figures and notes attached that the figures were subject to an error marging of +- 500%. I also added notes that under no circumstances would I ever provide them with figures of a greater accuracy and that I was only filling the forms in due to the threats of legal action. I never had another form sent to me again by the ONS.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                Why not ?!! They do on everything else !!
                The ONS don't just 'make the numbers up'

They follow careful instructions from the spin doctors from nuLieBore to craft plausible figures that present government 'successes' in the best possible way.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  The ONS don't just 'make the numbers up'

They follow careful instructions from the spin doctors from nuLieBore to craft plausible figures that present government 'successes' in the best possible way.
                  Now I do like the use of the word 'craft' there, HAB.

Lovely stuff.

I must shoe-horn 'craft' into more of my waffling.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                    Now I do like the use of the word 'craft' there, HAB.

Lovely stuff.

I must shoe-horn 'craft' into more of my waffling.
                    I know a chap who gets the 'word of the day' e-mail from Dictionary.com

He sets a task to use the word whatever it is in some document or email. Today's is "Knell - The stoke of a bell tolled at a funeral or at the death of a person". Should be easy. Although 'Chichi' from last Wednesday must have been tough to get into a spec.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X