• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I swear to god BT are ******* useless!!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I swear to god BT are ******* useless!!!!!

My letter to BT:

To Whom It May Concern,

It is with great frustration that I am forced to write this letter but after 5 hours of unhelpful phone calls I need to express my views and make someone aware of the incompetence of the so called “customer service” from BT.

Last week I received a final bill which I presumed must have been a mistake as I am in a 12 month rolling contract with BT and always punctual with payments, so called your customer service team to query this and at the same time thought I’d pay seeing as I was already on the phone. After a 20 minute wait (I strongly believe whoever is responsible for your hold music needs shooting!) I was able to pay. However after I was thanked for the payment I was then told that my account had actually been cancelled and that I am no longer a BT customer! – Thanks! As you can imagine I was mystified and asked why but received no explanation-the lady I spoke to simply didn’t know! Whilst on the phone I checked my internet and true to word it was disconnected. After being told I was up to date with everything and all had been paid - thank you very much, I was unable to work out where the misunderstanding had taken place. I spent 2 hours in total on this call without a specific answer and after speaking to about 5 different BT representatives (most of which I was unable to understand!) I was informed someone else would call me back. Believe it or not I was called back – Hallaylooyay!... by a member of the sales team that asked “are you ready to place an order sir???” After going over chapter and verse again with this member of the sales team I was told I would basically need to start all over again as a new customer, sign up for a 12 month contract and pay the installation costs. WHAT??

I called again Friday, again 2 hours of being disconnected twice, throat slitting hold music, I spent my Friday night sat in awaiting my promised call from a BT manager…guess what…correct – No Call!

I then called again this morning and was given new information-apparently I missed a payment in April and that we have had a steady stream of reminders, final notices and cut-off warnings. I cannot say strongly enough that this is NOT the case. We haven’t received any of those whatsoever. I was clearly informed that when I paid the July bill everything was up to date. Why on earth have I been cut off?? If I had missed a payment why tell me that I haven’t, cut me off and then choose to tell me I have?!
    To add insult to injury I receive a marketing leaflet stating, ‘Before you leave BT please consider staying with us for the following reasons..’ I never wanted to leave in the first place, I signed up for a 12 month contract in Nov’07 so surely that lasts until Nov’08?
    I have been without internet access for a number of days now and after wasting 5 hours on my Vodafone mobile which isn’t free to 0800 numbers, I am now told that it can’t simply be switched back on, we have to go through the installation process, which will take 5-7 days. This is absolutely appalling. I need the internet for my business to function and I am losing time and money by not having access.

The level of customer service is atrocious and has been made worse after speaking with a lady called Marjorie who I quote, “Well how do we know you’re not receiving the bills, the reminders, the final notices and not screwing them up and chucking them in the bin?” Why on earth would I do that when I pay every single bill I know about on time? And if I didn’t want or need the internet why would I spend so long attempting to be reconnected? It doesn’t make any sense and I didn’t appreciate the rudeness of your employee.

I have been round and round in circles with BT, been passed from department to department, been cut off numerous times and been misinformed about everything. I have found the whole process ridiculous and cannot believe it has taken 5 hours, 8 phone calls, over 15 members of staff and 3 supposed managers to rectify a situation that wasn’t even the customers fault. Why advertise for new business when you are obviously trying to get rid of it? I have had to virtually beg to come back as a member and believe me it has made me seriously consider using a different provider in the future, if I was certain I would be at the same address for a further 12 months I would have no hesitation in changing providers.

Please give me a valid reason why I should not report this issue to ofcome, because right now I can’t see any!

I would like details on compensating me for my time, phone calls and the sheer hassle this has caused me. My business has been unable to run and I would like an apology and compensation.

I would appreciate a written response by Friday 22nd Aug.

Regards,
    l l l http://www.thewantedfans.com

I'd be a little cautious about mentioning that you use a residential Internet connection for business purposes, if they pick up on that you might find them refusing to connect you again.
    I of course realise (as do the ISP's) that a hell of a lot of people use their residential connections for work, but without proof they don't generally get all cruddy about it.

Comment

ofcome *snigger*

sorry

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
        I'd be a little cautious about mentioning that you use a residential Internet connection for business purposes, if they pick up on that you might find them refusing to connect you again.
        I of course realise (as do the ISP's) that a hell of a lot of people use their residential connections for work, but without proof they don't generally get all cruddy about it.
        I have a couple of 'residential' lines for business use. BT couldn't care less - and said as much when I ordered them.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          I have a couple of 'residential' lines for business use. BT couldn't care less - and said as much when I ordered them.
          Not at all uncommon, BUT since he's complaining about what from the sounds of it is pretty awful service, why give the buggers a possible avenue of attack. They will wriggle out of it if they can, no reason to give them an escape route.

Comment

Going through something similar at present.

Had a business phone line and broadband running just fine. Then all of a sudden something goes pop! The business account stops and a residential account in my name appears in its place. After epic bouncing back between their residential and business departments, I got through to an old-sounding engineer bloke who knew his stuff & succeeded in setting up a business account that did what the old one used to. They told me they'd succeeded in killing the residential account - and for the calls I think they have - but I'm still getting billed personally for residential broadband that there's no way I can use because there's a business broadband account on that line.

Let the Indians just rebuild the whole company from scratch I say.

Comment

Had exactly the same with BT when my Broadband got cut off a few months after moving into my current property due to billing issues with the previous tenant (who had been with Tiscali). Something about the tag on the line having never been replaced with the BT one and when they realised they just took it off and didn't tell me or look to see if the account had been switched to someone else left me without Internet. After being told various lies and not getting callbacks when promised I had to go through the reordering process but even then I didn't get back online when promised. When I queried it BT told me the order had been cancelled due to a problem with the MAC code from Tiscali. They weren't even going to tell me!

I eventually had to go with a dialup provider temporarily and got TalkTalk to provide my Broadband in the end who have been very good for me (even though there were some scare stories going about regarding them too).

When I complained and asked for compensation, BT told me that I wasn't eligible as I was no longer a customer (when they had disconnected me without me knowing anything about it!) It just beggared belief and suffice to say that I will never be a BT customer again if I can possibly avoid it...

Comment

Only took nine months and four attempts to get a phone line installed and I'm not even going to mention broadband.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

BT really suck, I have had the same problem, got disconnected through no fault of my own, and had to wait 7 days to be reconnected. I was only 2 months in to a 12 month contract when they disconnected me.

They have got to have some of the worst customer services I have ever come across in my life.

Well thats mu rant out of the way

Comment

Throughout my IT career, either as a permie IT Manager, or as a self-employed consultant, I have never encountered anything quite so bad as BT.
                    Scrofula, by comparison, would be more welcome.

I can honestly say, hand on heart, that any project in which BT has had to do work for my Clients, or for my own companies, has turned to poo at some stage along the line.
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X