• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mega doomed - it could be you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mega doomed - it could be you

Russian roulette - bank style:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7569903.stm

Spread your risk!!
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Doomed, y'all.
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

I've got £35K with Capital One savings (US bank, FSA protected here). Do you think it might be prudent to fetch the money out and put it somewhere else?

I've got so many bank accounts at £35K it's getting silly and I'm running out of FSA protected banks.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I've got £35K with Capital One savings (US bank, FSA protected here). Do you think it might be prudent to fetch the money out and put it somewhere else?

I've got so many bank accounts at £35K it's getting silly and I'm running out of FSA protected banks.
        My understanding is if the bank falls into the protection scheme the country of origin of the bank is irrelevant. You probably know better than many of us which are in the protection scheme as you've no doubt researched it.

Comment

Stick the rest in Northern Rock, IIRC any amount deposited there is guaranteed by the Treasury.
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            You probably know better than many of us which are in the protection scheme as you've no doubt researched it.
            Gaaaawd, don't pander to DP's ego, Tyke!

The fishy one is a veritable threaded for 2008 as it is!

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Thing is no one has ever claimed the £35K when a bank goes bust, so how likely is it to actually work in practice?

More likely it will take 10 yrs to get your money and it will be a postcode lottery.

I'd rather not risk it if I can.

And Northern Rock, how far do you trust the government to protect the savers beyond the £35K limit?

Comment

Lehmans.

Comment

Thing is no one has ever claimed the £35K when a bank goes bust, so how likely is it to actually work in practice?

More likely it will take 10 yrs to get your money and it will be a postcode lottery.

I'd rather not risk it if I can.

And Northern Rock, how far do you trust the government to protect the savers beyond the £35K limit?
                  Very wise advice.

Comment

The £35k thing: agreed, no way will everyone be paid if too many claim. Apart from ministers, naturally.

Comment

Working...
                    X