• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plane slips off runway in Madrid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plane slips off runway in Madrid

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7572643.stm
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

A passenger plane has skidded off a runway on takeoff at Madrid airport, local media report.

Fatalities are feared and several injuries have been reported.

The plane belonged to Spanair, a major charter carrier, and some 160 people were on board at the time of the incident, reports say.

The cause of the apparent accident remains unknown. TV footage showed smoke billowing from the craft, which was destined for Gran Canaria.

Emergency services are attending the scene.

Weather conditions in Madrid were fine at the time of the incident.
    Not looking good.
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

I never go on those planes with engines at the back .. always only with engines on the wings, I don't know whey but these are meant to have a better recovery rate during failure.

I remember back in 2000 near Los Angeles airport an Alaska airways MD-83 (the Spanish plane was an MD-80) with a rear engine plunged to the ground all because the stabelizing rudder at the back had not been greased properly and the ratchets wore down, they could not stop the gradual descent, then the plane flipped upside down and minutes later it crashed into the sea and everyone died.

What is strange about this one is that the plane was just taking off, a large explosion was heard, the rear engine was said to be on fire, the recovery landing was 'apparently' ok ... but then from some of the other testimonies the plane broke in two. Also the CNN report shows TWO large plumes of smoke one white and one black hundreds of meters apart.

I'm wondering whether this is an act of terrorism because this airport has a great safety record.

Comment

And what about the price of the pilot's house? Journalism at its sloppiest.

Comment

90 dead now.

Comment

Times says 140.

Comment

Landing/take-off are the most dangerous times in an aircraft. My understanding is that they should be able to survive an engine (single) failure on take-off. Check out the youtube footage of "thompson mayday" for a cool professional approach to breaking your aircraft on take-off.

This is awful though...
              B00med!

Comment

But the Telegraph trumps that with a rock-solid "nearly 150".

Comment

And the Beeb thoughtfully says, "Are you in the area? Did you witness what happened? Send us your comments using the form below."

Comment

I know you mention 'bad journalism' up there (dunno if you are referring to me)... but what gets me is it was reported in writing that 'one survivor reported a safe landing'.

I seems like about a million miles away from a 'safe landing'.

Comment

Working...
                    X