• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat Rate: Cant I claim VAT on purchases.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat Rate: Cant I claim VAT on purchases.

Hello there,

I am on Flat rate (12%). My accountant says that I cant claim the VAT if i purchase any Computer etc because I am on Flat Rate. Is it true?.
    Where can I find these rules for flat rate?

Please help.

Regards
    Goodmans

IIRC you can opt out for certain large purchases, something like >2k

PS what industry are you registered for at 12%? I seem to remember I'm 13%, but you could be getting the 1% new start up discount
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Thanks mate.

Thanks for speed reply.
      Type of business is IT Services, Yes its new company and i am in 1st year so I got 1% off.

Yaa just now i was reading a point in flat rate VAT scheme.

If capital assets are purchased with a VAT inclusive value of £2,000 or more, the VAT can be recovered in the normal way. This concession, however, cannot be used where the assets were:
      * acquired for resale, or for incorporation in goods to be sold,
      * acquired to be hired out, leased or let,
      * for consumption within one year, or
      * covered by the capital goods scheme.

Cheers,
      Goodmans

Comment

Originally posted by Goodmans View Post
        Where can I find these rules for flat rate?
        HMRC's Flat Rate Scheme Guidance manual, if you can stand to plough through it

UPDATE: The page you want, probably.
        Last edited by NickFitz; 20 August 2008, 20:41.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys.

It really helped.

Goodmans.

Comment

For capital purchases under £2000 you cannot claim back the VAT if you are on the FRS. If the purchase is over £2000 you can but it has to be a capital purchase e.g. hardware. Training, services etc etc doesn't count IIRC.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Goodmans - it looks like you need to find yourself a better accountant. This is basic stuff.
              It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

I'm sorry, but why all the advice based on "IIRC"?

The manual is online, refer to that. No need to RC anything if you can go to the source.

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith View Post
                  Goodmans - it looks like you need to find yourself a better accountant. This is basic stuff.
                  Why? At the moment it looks like the accountant is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                    Why? At the moment it looks like the accountant is correct.
                    Yep, agreed. This is yet another case of someone not bothering to do their homework...
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X