• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Evolution

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evolution

I have never been convinced by natural selection. Anything that confers an immediate advantage, fine, I can see that how that selects, but some adaptations are only of significant benefit after many millions of years, how did that help the first indivduals? I have therefore been conducting my usual extensive and painstaking research and have come up with a theory that works for all adaptations.

Fashion. Elephants evolved long trunks because for several epochs, having a long nose was the in thing. Individuals with short noses were thought to look nerdy by the females and therefore never got to mate.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth
    Fashion. Elephants evolved long trunks because for several epochs, having a long nose was the in thing. Individuals with short noses were thought to look nerdy by the females and therefore never got to mate.
    Also, back in caveman days elephants with short trunks were very slow at picking up buns. Unless they dived face-first into the ground.

Comment

so what are .net monkeys going to develop into ???

SA says;
      Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      (whatever these are)

Comment

Elephants

Elephants evolved long tusks so they could stab giraffes and other predators but then they couldnt reach stuff they had to have longer trunks,
        This is called Cyclical-Dependancy evolutionary theory.
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Don't forget that a long prehensile nose can reach those sensitive bits between your legs. Though too much time spent playing with yourself may not be good for the creation of new elepahnts.

Comment

>so what are .net monkeys going to develop into ???

Spaghetti

Comment

Excellent theory Xog. Spot on. Also it has been suggested that early elephants developed an interest in playing the jazz trumpet. This has never been proved.

Comment

good I understand now .........
                SA says;
                Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                (whatever these are)

Comment

Which would explain why very few examples of the mammoth with flared trunk, platform soled feet and wide wing tip ears have been found outside a very specific era.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

One of the main problems with evolution has been trying to understand how birds ever got to fly.
                    Its obvious now that they dont actually fly at all , its just that God doesnt push down on them so hard. Thats fair
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X