• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I buy a new phone through my business?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I buy a new phone through my business?

I am a freelance developer, working 100% from home with remote clients. I spend 2-5 hours each week on the phone to my clients, but our home phone is old, shoddy and ill-suited to meetings - no mute, no headset support, etc.

I need to get a new phone but I'm not sure if I can just buy it as a business expense. Technically it could be used for non-work purposes but I would be buying it specifically to use for my business.

Do I need to be worried here? Or just go ahead on the company credit card?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Best thing to do would be to get a seperate dedicated line put in for the business. Company can then pay for everything regardless.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Is it going to be kept and used in a room which is now a dedicated office?
      if so and based on what you said about features you need, i'd say yes...

If its going to be kept in a room thats also used by the family then it might be simpler to just take the tax hit.

I'm not an accountant.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I am a freelance developer, working 100% from home with remote clients. I spend 2-5 hours each week on the phone to my clients, but our home phone is old, shoddy and ill-suited to meetings - no mute, no headset support, etc.

I need to get a new phone but I'm not sure if I can just buy it as a business expense. Technically it could be used for non-work purposes but I would be buying it specifically to use for my business.

Why not get a mobile phone package on a business plan with a mobile phone company and get the whole bill paid off by the company?
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          Why not get a mobile phone package on a business plan with a mobile phone company and get the whole bill paid off by the company?
          Because my clients are in the US and my normal home provider (TalkTalk) give me free calls to the US. I have no problem with the phone-line, I just want a new phone to plug in to it.

I do have a dedicated study (well I will have in a few days) but does using the phone for non-business purposes raise a big problem anyway? I was allowed to make personal calls on the phone when I was an employee, and non-skinflint companies would often let you use a company mobile for personal calls (as long as you're not an idiot with it).

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I don't think you need to worry about this at all. It's a justified item of business equipment regardless of whether you could use it for personal use or not. In the grand scheme of things this purchase would be pretty irrelevant.
            Make your choice. Let the game begin.

Comment

Use Skype to call states and put through call charges on expenses? (maybe)

Its cheap as chips any way.

Comment

Originally posted by jigsaw View Post
                I don't think you need to worry about this at all. It's a justified item of business equipment regardless of whether you could use it for personal use or not. In the grand scheme of things this purchase would be pretty irrelevant.
                ^^^^^ Is right. You can buy a phone via the company and even use it for personal calls. There's no BIK on it either.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Does anyone know a good place to buy a phone? I need functionality like a mute button, speakerphone, able to plugin a headset, and sites like Currys either don't stock such phones, or don't advertise these features.

Comment

http://www.shop.bt.com

Comment

Working...
                    X