• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Too good to be true?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too good to be true?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIA...ith_70mpg.html

A British carmaker has built a storming new 200mph+ supercar which can return nearly 70mpg – the new Trident Iceni.

The Trident Iceni is a new supercar which uses a 6.6-litre V8 turbodiesel engine which produces 550bhp and a massive 950lb/ft of pulling power – more than twice the pull of a 7-litre Corvette Z06.

This means the Trident Iceni can accelerate from 0-60mph in just 3.7 seconds – as quick as a Ferrari F40 – and hit a top speed of more than 200mph.

The Trident Iceni achieves this remarkable power and mpg figure thanks to what the company calls “torque multiplication”.

Trident says this technology is “available now, requires no further research and development and can make an immediate difference to the amount of emissions diesel vehicles produce”.

The Trident Iceni was tested at the Millbrook Proving Ground and at a constant speed of 70mph the team recorded an average mpg figure of 68.9.

And Trident recorded an astonishing 108mpg when testing at 30mph city driving, claiming the new Iceni can travel 2,000 miles on a single tank of diesel before refuelling.

The chassis is made from stainless steel and is guaranteed against corrosion for 100 years – meaning this supercar will never rust.

The new Trident Iceni is nearly production ready, and prices will start from £75,000 when it goes on sale.

Sounds like bulltulip to me. Is Threaded behind this?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Is Threaded behind this?
    Can't be, youd be able to see his fat arse sticking out.

Oh I see, sorry......................

Oh yes, and can I have one please.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

looks like a re-badged TVR
      "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Cars are hopelessly inefficient, even an aeroplane could go faster than that with a similar sized engine. In fact I think even in terms of fuel efficiency a 747 going very very much faster than that is probably only using about double that fuel per passenger in that car. A push-bike is probably 100 times more efficient still, even with an inefficient lump of meat pedalling it. In other words cars is carp.

Comment

I wouldn't buy that car. It's haunted! There's a ghost pretending the gearstick is his willy.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Cars are hopelessly inefficient, even an aeroplane could go faster than that with a similar sized engine. In fact I think even in terms of fuel efficiency a 747 going very very much faster than that is probably only using about double that fuel per passenger in that car. A push-bike is probably 100 times more efficient still, even with an inefficient lump of meat pedalling it. In other words cars is carp.
            The point I was making: can a 6.6 litre turbo diesel return 108 MPG round town and also top 200MPH?

Seems like bollox to me, but if it's true it the only car you'll ever need (plus a caravan for holidays).

Comment

Well all cars use torque multiplication, it's a fundamantal principle of how gearboxes and differentials work. *IF* this is true then my guess is that they've done some mechanical jiggery pokery around the gear ratios and final drive to give a wider range of options depending on the driving conditions.

EDIT: Just had a look at the Trident page for the car, 8 speed sequential gearbox. Possible that they've tweaked gears 1-5 for optimal urban driving and 6-8 for high speed driving.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

The point I was making: can a 6.6 litre turbo diesel return 108 MPG round town and also top 200MPH?

Seems like bollox to me, but if it's true it the only car you'll ever need (plus a caravan for holidays).
                In principle it costs nothing to move from A to B, where A and B are at an equal potential (e.g height). You just have to try to minimise heating up the car and environment when you move, which isn't possible in most cases. So in practise, and especially for that particular car, flip knows.

As an unhelpful aside 300 HP = 223 Kilowatts and a litre of petrol contains about 10 kWh of energy. So if you used 300 HP for 2.7 minutes you'd use use up a litre of petrol ( probably in less than half that time when including heating the environment in various ways). Quick sanity check: say you use 300 HP to go at 200 MPH for 2.7 minutes covering a distance of 9 miles. That's 9 miles per litre or 40 MPG. But you'd want to at least half that figure since petrol engines are only a max of about 40 % efficient. Can be arsed to calculate the drag.

Compare that to the PAC-CAR which does 2,646 MPG.

In summary, flip knows.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                  I wouldn't buy that car. It's haunted! There's a ghost pretending the gearstick is his willy.
                  Hahahah what WERE the designers thinking.. or not thinking

Comment

The Trident Iceni achieves this remarkable power and mpg figure thanks to what the company calls “torque multiplication”.

Gears.

Trident says this technology is “available now"

Has been available for hundreds of years.

Why is it that a high performance car going slow uses more fuel than a low performance car at the same speed? Is a larger engine just that much more innefficient? How come my 2.0 N/A petrol S2000 isn't as good on fuel economy whilst motorway cruising as my 2.0 N/A petrol Primera despite the latter being heavier and less aerodynamic?
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X