• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PA Consulting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PA Consulting

... losing all that sensitive data - blimey.

I wonder why our thoughtful Government gave them all that geniune data to play with anyway?

Originally posted by Kess View Post
    ... losing all that sensitive data - blimey.

I wonder why our thoughtful Government gave them all that geniune data to play with anyway?
    criminals may seek compensation
    Why can't we normal people seek compensation when they lose details about us, like when they lost all that data on child benefit claimants?

Details of 84,000 prisoners in England and Wales
    How many?! That's equivalent to a large town!

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
      Why can't we normal people seek compensation when they lose details about us, like when they lost all that data on child benefit claimants?

How many?! That's equivalent to a large town!
      You can, but in order to be compensated you have to prove that you suffered material losses or could reasonably claim to have otherwise suffered as a result.

In an extra twist it was actually Ministry of Justice data that was lost ( they run the Prisons Service ) that was being used by the Home Office and via them PA on the Jtrack project to manage Prolific and Priority Offenders by creating a central database of offender information frmo the Police CPS and and Prison Service.

The fundamental problem is that nobody, other than those of us who do it for a living, actually stops and thinks about Data Security. The needs of the day job override everything else and if someone wants some data no-one thinks twice about the consequences of stuffing it on a memory stick or a cd and handing it over.

The lack of accountability for data ownership means that there are no consequences for anyone when this stuff happens beyond embarrassment. To date, to my knowledge, only one person has lost their job as a result of losing data - an NHS Middle Manager who had a laptop containing patient information stolen from his car. Without ownership and accountability, at a senior level, things are not going to change. Untill we see a senior civil servant or director level manager lose their job no-one will take it seriously.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Its amazing, that in this day an age companies are still transferring data on unencrypted media. Especially so called consulting companies.

There are no excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

The fundamental problem is that nobody, other than those of us who do it for a living, actually stops and thinks about Data Security. The needs of the day job override everything else and if someone wants some data no-one thinks twice about the consequences of stuffing it on a memory stick or a cd and handing it over.
          But that data I would imagine is at least graded as 'restricted'. Everyone working with data at that level should have had 'the talk' about how to treat it.

I agree with you though about the accountability thing.
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
            But that data I would imagine is at least graded as 'restricted'. Everyone working with data at that level should have had 'the talk' about how to treat it.

I agree with you though about the accountability thing.
            They may have had the talk but unless they understand how they are accountable for what happens to the data and that there are teeth to that accountability it makes no difference.

How many boring education/training sessions have you sat through where you felt it really wasn't your problem and you'd forgotton or ignored anything that was said in it within 10 mins of it ending?

It's a fundamantal change to peoples attitudes to information that is needed and a 10 min pep talk doesn't do it.

Comment

All of this is ample proof (not that any is needed) of why we must not give any more data to these pillocks for their stupid ID card scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                All of this is ample proof (not that any is needed) of why we must not give any more data to these pillocks for their stupid ID card scheme.
                The concept of ID cards is fundamentally flawed anyway.

Question : What form of ID do you use to prove who you are to get an ID card, and that can't currently be faked or stolen?

Comment

It’ll be fine in the long run. Only outer party members and the proles will need ID cards. Everyone will be tagged at birth. We proles will be terminated once we’ve been used up; typically about forty years of age.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    For god’s sake, what is it you luddites are scared of about ID cards?

You can get more information off your driving licence.

The whole point about ID cards is that passports and licences are not compulsory. The card will simply be a way to prove who you are. Not everyone has a passport and not everyone has a driving licence.

By making ID cards compulsory then police can confirm who you are, Hospitals can confirm you are not a 'health' tourist, Employment agencies can confirm you have right to work, Benefit agencies can ascertain you're entitled to benefits, etc.

As for applying for an ID card, it'll be done in the same manner as applying for a first time passport and there is no new database, they've amended the proposals to utilise the databases of the other agencies, i.e. the passport service.

The reason why I'm so for it is from November 2008, all foreign nationals will have to apply for "biometric residence permits" or "biometric visas" and their details will be entered into the national identity database. The government also wants all foreign nationals living in the UK to have identity cards and will make anyone applying to extend their stay register biometric details, from November 2008. The aim is that 90% of foreign nationals in the UK will have ID cards by 2015.

First step at putting British borders back in place.
                    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Working...
                    X