• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Short term contract - is this clause acceptable?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short term contract - is this clause acceptable?

I may be about to start a new contract, indication is it is 6 months but I'm concerned there might not be 6 months worth of work in there. Is it acceptable to put a clause in the contract stating that the full 6 months will be payable should the project finish early? Or something to this effect? I'm willing to take it for the money being offered, but not if 70% through they close the project...?
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

In return do you accept 8 months work for 6 months pay? If so, then it may fly as a fixed price contract bid. Otherwise forget it.

Usual disclaimers apply etc........
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

You could ask for a contract based on a specific deliverable or stages of deliverables - bit like a builder who builds a conservatory, but I would guess you are in the game of supplying a service - if the client has no further need for said service he won't want to pay you - thats why he's using a contractor and not a permie.
      Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
        I may be about to start a new contract, indication is it is 6 months but I'm concerned there might not be 6 months worth of work in there. Is it acceptable to put a clause in the contract stating that the full 6 months will be payable should the project finish early? Or something to this effect? I'm willing to take it for the money being offered, but not if 70% through they close the project...?
        Doing something like that will land you squarely in IR35 territory. An obligation for the client to pay you even when there is no work makes you look a lot like a permie.

*Hint* If the contract is for 6 months, and the client thinks it will take six months then it is your duty as a contractor to meet their expectations *hint*
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
          I'm concerned there might not be 6 months worth of work in there.
          Work at a more leisurely pace?

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
            Work at a more leisurely pace?
            I'd never do that.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
              I'd never do that.

over engineer then
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                over engineer then
                Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

FWIW, my experience of doing 6 months work in 4 months can reward you with another 6 months contract that runs for 7 months the year after. So everyone involved is a winner. It's happened to me twice with two clients.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Hah cheers for the replies guys.. interesting comments. Yeah I guess it's in my best interests to 'project manage' the situation to make sure it is delivered on the 'expected date' then.
                    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Working...
                    X