• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are GP's worth £100K pa?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are GP's worth £100K pa?

Well figures suggest that the average GP now earns £100,000 pa. Many earn much more than this.

That's 4x the average nurse.

Is this "Fair"?

Do you think it is a good thing that GP's now earn more than hospital consultants?

£100,000 - GPs
    £75,000 - Hospital consultant
    £60,000 - University professor
    £57,000 - Backbench MP
    £35,000 - Plumber
    £32,000 - Train driver
    £28,500 - Journalist
    £26,000 - Nurse
    £12,000 - Hospital porter

Personally I think it's great news.

Next time I go to my GP and he tells me I look like tulipe, should rest and take an aspirin, I'll be glad he's well compensated for that insightful medical advice.

Discuss and/or abuse

Well, 40% income tax + 12% NI - that's 50 grand+ earned by Mr Brown. The remainder is 5k per month. Take over priced house, faulty Merc, kids that have to get their Uni paid for, wife and pets, car insurance -- all money spend on that taxed by Mr Brown, so probably 70-80k out of 100k end up in the treasury, which then pays out 100k salary. So real cost to the Govt is just 20k. Now a lot is it?

Comment

So what you are saying AtW is that Brown should increase taxes further so that we can effectively get doctors for free?

Good plan.

Comment

I think the truth is simpler -- everyone is robbed by brown with his indirect taxes. The only difference is that Doc will drive Merc S500 and pay more in taxes due to higher fuel consumption, and ordinary Joe will drive Ford Focus TDCI.

Basically I think everyone is fecked and the only difference is how hard it is

Comment

Are GP's worth £100K pa?
          Some yes, others (majority?) no. Especially the ones like a friend of mines GP who i took to the other day as they were to sick to make it on their own.

Such a strong accent (indian) he would not get a job at an indian call center

His understanding of spoken english was so poor nearly everything had to be repeated 3 times (and the speaker had a perfectly normal voice with nearly no accent, god help this guy if he ever got a scot or welshy with a strong accent)

And last but not least, such a arrogant and uncareing ***** that i felt like belting him within 1 minute of meeting him

£35,000 - Plumber
          Somehow highly doubt that, more likely this is just their "official" earnings, unoffcially most likely a lot higher . Most plumbers are booked solid all year round and these guys are not cheap.
          Last edited by Not So Wise; 24 August 2005, 00:11.

Comment

but a lot of that 100k is in over time, and lets be honest if its available, and you want the extra $$$ you'd do the over time. Dr's work long hours, and train for many many years.
            SA says;
            Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            (whatever these are)

Comment

I think some opted in and some opted out of working out of hours.......
              SA says;
              Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              (whatever these are)

Comment

What the hell is all this 'fair' business. GP's study for years to do what they do and have their worklife hindered by stupid Government forms and regulations. Tell you what let's all settle down in a nice little commune and we'll all earn the same, regardless of ability - that will be 'fair' and we can sing round the camp fire as one voice enjoying giving up our ambition and achievements in favour of our brother's welfare

Comment

agree with John Galt but also with AtW (what?). In Brown's world, what is a salary of £100k? Not that much, once everything's deducted. You'd almost be better off earning 15k under the table doing odd jobs, + family tax credit, housing benefits, disability benefit or whatever it's called and get your free motability Nissan....
                  Chico, what time is it?

Comment

You'd almost be better off earning 15k under the table doing odd jobs, + family tax credit, housing benefits, disability benefit or whatever it's called and get your free motability Nissan....

How very true RL , and I know one or two folks back in the UK who do just that and do very well thankyou.

The saddest sound in all the World , is the overtaxed worker

AJP
                    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 24 August 2005, 09:58.

Comment

Working...
                    X