• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New contract T's & C's...WTF??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New contract T's & C's...WTF??

Please find attached your contract, timesheet template, and a copy of our T&Cs ready for your assignment that commences on the xxxxx 2008. Please ensure that you read the terms and conditions thoroughly.

Please can you sign and return a copy of your contract to me asap.

Can you ensure that you complete and get authorisation for your timesheet on a weekly basis and fax/email it to ***** ****** or **@*****.com before you leave site each Friday. This timesheet must reach us by no later than midday on the Monday - 3 late timesheets in a month will result in a delay to your pay. As per the terms and conditions timesheets which do not reach us within 48 hours of the deadline may result in your pay for this period being forfeited.
    Is that acceptable?? Should I reply with 'non payment will result in withdrawal of service'?

Feckin outrageous.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

I assume you did not sign?

Comment

Outrageous.

You haven't signed have you?
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Just drafting a nasty email now, I've explained that my ltd is professional business and expects to be treated as such.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

A fellow contractor who works on another site but for the same agency and client submitted a timesheet 5 weeks ago that had a simple mistake on it, rather than ring him to clarify they just didn't pay that month and left it up to him to contact them when the money didn't arrive in his account.

If this is not re-drafted I will name and shame.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            You might have to be quick or this newbie might beat you to it.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ess-legal.html

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
              Outrageous.

You haven't signed have you?
              I have but under their previous T's & C's, I just sent them an email reminding them of that.

Can they force new T's & C's like this? Could I withdraw services and sue for payment of the remainder of the contract?

They're very amateurish, they sent me this after I had been working for a week and expected me to sign it:

I hereby state that all my tax and national insurance contributions are being paid by my Umbrella/Limited Company in line with IR35.

I understand that ***** **** ***** are not responsible or liable for the ensuring of the above.

Signed:

I just ignored it and they never got back to me.

Comment

I have but under their previous T's & C's, I just sent them an email reminding them of that.

Can they force new T's & C's like this? Could I withdraw services and sue for payment of the remainder of the contract?

They're very amateurish, they sent me this after I had been working for a week and expected me to sign it:

I hereby state that all my tax and national insurance contributions are being paid by my Umbrella/Limited Company in line with IR35.

I understand that ***** **** ***** are not responsible or liable for the ensuring of the above.

Signed:

I just ignored it and they never got back to me.
                Up until about a year I had been contracting since the eighties and I'd never signed a contract or been pressured to do so despite having been sent the paperwork before going on site. Dunno why nobody bothered but that seemed to be the norm.

I still get the impression that a contract as such isn't worth the paper it's written on. I worked for the best / worst clients and agencies over the years, had a few run ins, walked out of one gig with no repercussions and generally just submitted timesheets and got paid, everybody happy. It's all changed now hence I'm no longer involved and gone are the days when agencies looked after contractors, they forget who pays their wages it seems.

This particular set of T & C's I've never encountered and would never countenance. As far as I'm aware (and I might be wrong), the basic premise is turn up and do the work and you're entitled to be paid, end of. Why leave yourself open to the grief though? Get the terms changed or walk IMHO.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Is that acceptable?? Should I reply with 'non payment will result in withdrawal of service'?

flipin outrageous.
                  My current client never takes less than 2 working days and can take ten days to return a signed timesheet. I usually expect to see it on Thursday.

Since the bint that does the running around is off for two weeks, I am expecting to get three or four timesheets returned to me all at once.

If the agent then didn't pay, I'd be tempted to torch ClientCo in the middle of the night.
                  If you read the best 3 books in any subject, you'll be in the top 5% of experts in the world.

Comment

A fellow contractor who works on another site but for the same agency and client submitted a timesheet 5 weeks ago that had a simple mistake on it, rather than ring him to clarify they just didn't pay that month and left it up to him to contact them when the money didn't arrive in his account.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ess-legal.html

It's not Parity is it?
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X