• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Processors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Processors

Looking for a laptop that will run my business apps in vmware, so looking at min 3gb ram but I'm not sure which processor to go for, a AMD Turion X2 Dual Core Mobile Processor (2.0 GHz, 400 MHz FSB, 1 MB Cache), or a Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T8100 (2.1GHz, 800 MHz, 3 MB Cache). The Intel option is around £50 more, would the intel's 800mhz be noticeably quicker?

Thanks in advance
    Badger

The Intel is the better option there - quicker (more L2 cache, faster FSB) and runs cooler so battery life will be better. Unfortunately I don't think there is any benefit to getting 800Mhz RAM since the current Intel Santa Rosa mobile platform only supports RAM speeds up to 667Mhz (I could be wrong though)
    Last edited by voodooflux; 22 August 2008, 22:26.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I think he means an 800MHz FSB, not 800 MHz RAM.......
      Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
        I think he means an 800MHz FSB, not 800 MHz RAM.......
        I realise that - the RAM advice was me rambling He may have been tempted to buy RAM of a speed to match that of the FSB, but there would be little point on the current Santa Rosa platform.

Comment

Intel is a faster, better architectured, lower power CPU.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Intel it is.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              I haven't bought an Intel processor since my 12MHz 286 processor died of old age.

Did you use the "Turbo" button too much perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Ah yes, the "turbo" button.
                I always wanted a Turbo Boost button like that one on KITT from Knight Rider.

Comment

Working...
                X