• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you really just turn up to a hotel and get a cheap rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you really just turn up to a hotel and get a cheap rate?

I've heard before that if you turn up to a hotel on the night you want to stay, you can negotiate a big discount on the basis "wouldn't you rather have £50" than an empty room. Obviously there is some risk here that the hotel is full, but other than that is this likely to work?
    Specifically, I want to try and stay at the Marriot for a night or two with the wife during the middle of next week. Any advice or anecdotes?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I've heard before that if you turn up to a hotel on the night you want to stay, you can negotiate a big discount on the basis "wouldn't you rather have £50" than an empty room. Obviously there is some risk here that the hotel is full, but other than that is this likely to work?
    Specifically, I want to try and stay at the Marriot for a night or two with the wife during the middle of next week. Any advice or anecdotes?
    I've secured decent hotel discounts on many occasions and while touring Italy last month, apart from my pre booked 1st 3 nights, I got cash off on all the night in 4 cities.

All it takes is a little front and not being bothered about walking out and trying somewhere else. Obviously this tactic may be less viable with your leg iron in tow.

Comment

How exactly do you do it? Just ask for a discount?

Comment

It helps if you have a Scottish accent for starters...
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

the worst thing you can do is turn up with three heavy suitcases and a harrassed-looking wife/family. They will point at the sign behind the counter marked 'rack rate' and invite you to pay it.

Try www.laterooms.com for last minute hotels, or else call them saying you want a room for the night. TBH I doubt the Marriott would say 'alright then giz us twenty quid' I imagine they've got standardised policies on lowest rates and such.

Comment

Some will offer a cheap rate on spec; others won't. An empty room is not, in and of itself, a disaster for any hotel: they may well expect people with money to arrive en resorte the next day, and your penny pinching, el cheapo peasant-like request for money off isn't going to make them love you much.

And then it's onto the horror of the crappest hotel in town, which smells of cabbage, wee and roll-ups, with fouled underpants in the battered chest of drawers in your cupboard-like room. Bonnes vacances!

Comment

Well we know the town well and there is a pretty nice Premier Travel Inn about 2min away... the room there is just as nice, it's only the pool which would be an advantage.

Comment

Has anyone used Tesco Clubcard vouchers on Marriot? Apparently you pay a different rate which sounds suspicious...

Comment

The problem is the people working there don't own the place, so don't really care if it is full or not.

I think with the current economic climate things will change a bit.

Why do you have to stay at the Marriot? you won't be in the room all day, why not go for something cheaper like ibis (current fav budget hotel) or premier travel inn (I would say avoid travellodge, most of them seem to have really gone down hill and they weren't great to start with!).

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    It helps if you have a Scottish accent for starters...
                    Then they assume you will get drunk and trash the room?

Comment

Working...
                    X