• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WEP - vulnerable

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WEP - vulnerable

I know (because someone posted about it on another thread) WEP encryption's easy to hack, but my wireless IP security cam only supports WEP not WAP. If I lock down the MAC addresses does it help - or does the hack tool sniff those out too? The camera was expensive so I'd rather not junk it.

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I know (because someone posted about it on another thread) WEP encryption's easy to hack, but my wireless IP security cam only supports WEP not WAP. If I lock down the MAC addresses does it help - or does the hack tool sniff those out too? The camera was expensive so I'd rather not junk it.
    WPA

MAC address filtering is pretty easily bypassed unfortunately. Is there perhaps a firmware upgrade for your camera that adds support for WPA?
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
      WPA

MAC address filtering is pretty easily bypassed unfortunately. Is there perhaps a firmware upgrade for your camera that adds support for WPA?
      If a firmware upgrade is not available, get a new camera and check the spec has the ability to support WPA/WPA2 with TKIP/AES as minimum. I don't know what the OP classes as expensive, but may want to have a look at http://www.trustedreviews.com/networ...s-IP-Camera/p1. This supports WPA.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Thanks folks - the camera is a Panasonic BL C30 and it cost about £190 when I bought it - however that linksys one looks a good bet - I guess I can still use the old one if I just connect by cable. I did a quick google and there doesn't appear to be a suitable firmware upgrade as Panasonic have since launched a new model that supports WPA.

Comment

On the other hand - realistically, how many people are likely to hack my connection out here in the sticks? It's not like it's a densely populated area - someone would need to sit outside to use it - I know for 100% certain that none of my neighbours is capable of such a hack.

Comment

On the other hand - realistically, how many people are likely to hack my connection out here in the sticks? It's not like it's a densely populated area - someone would need to sit outside to use it - I know for 100% certain that none of my neighbours is capable of such a hack.
            I can see you...

Comment

You may trust your neighbours, but do you trust that block who is sitting in his car who happens to be around the corner?
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                You may trust your neighbours, but do you trust that block who is sitting in his car who happens to be around the corner?
                I didn't think anyone had spotted me...
                B00med!

Comment

Working...
                X