• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stuck here on BH Monday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck here on BH Monday

With invoices, expenses and a slight hangover to deal with...

(Hubby's off to work - no Aug BH for his company)...

Might manage a little light shopping this afternoon. Or go to the Mama Mia! sing-a-long showing if I'm up to it...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

We are going to Bullring today, in Brum.....

Want to get a portable DAB - no radio at the weekday B&B.

T

Comment

well im here in sunny stuttgart, actually rainy stuttgart, surrounded by germans and i've realised my german really isnt up to scratch.. not a problem on the work front as it's all in english, bit of a problem for EVERYTHING else though..
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
        well im here in sunny stuttgart, actually rainy stuttgart, surrounded by germans and i've realised my german really isnt up to scratch.. not a problem on the work front as it's all in english, bit of a problem for EVERYTHING else though..
        Welcome to Germany Chef. Just do what the rest of us do. Speak slower and louder if they dont understand.

FWIW I quite like Stuttgart and have never had a problem with language there.

Reasonably bright and sunny down here on lake Constance. Weather forecast is improving over the week.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
          Working in sunny Basel. 22°C today - but will warm up and remain sunny over the rest of the week, as LG says.

My German is sufficiently up to scratch for most everyday transactions, though a succession of English speaking projects has slowed down my acquisition of the language. But to help you out, here's a couple of phrases I learned 25 years ago that cover most of the situations you're likely to encounter.

"Noch ein grosses Bier, bitte."
          "Noch zwei grosse Bier, bitte."
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I have leant - after a year in Frankfurt - to not be polite and first ask if they speak english. If you do that they will respond with a no and try to end the conversation there.

Now I just speak to them in a slow simplyfied english and then everything is usually fine.

Don't be polite to Germans, they don't know of the concept and only get confused.

btw. NotAllThere: are oyu in one of the two big pharmas in Basel?
            "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Since we have a few in the vacinity:
              Anybody fancy a weekend at the Stuttgart Bier fest? I am trying to organise a couple of guys from here to go. You would be welcome if you turned up but we would need to arrange somewhere to meet.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Here (in CH) you have the choice

Sprechen Sie lieber Englisch oder Hochdeutsch?

Given the choice, they normally go for English rather than German.

Comment

Dry here, just sent the Granddaughters home. Time for some paperwork now.
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                    Since we have a few in the vacinity:
                    Anybody fancy a weekend at the Stuttgart Bier fest? I am trying to organise a couple of guys from here to go. You would be welcome if you turned up but we would need to arrange somewhere to meet.
                    Thanks for the offer.
                    But I think I will pass as it is not really my type of thing.
                    And I already spend too much time away from the family.

But sometimes it is nice to talk to people in same circomstances.

If you guys pm me your email adresses I could open a private forum-thingy and we could discuss matters only relevant to us.
                    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Working...
                    X