PDA

View Full Version : What are you afraid of?

AtW
24th August 2005, 00:15
Ok, lets be honest here. Maybe it will help us overcome our fears.

I start -- I am afraid of flying on airplanes :eek:

Not So Wise
24th August 2005, 00:46
Snakes

Two causes, first off both myself, as a toddler and my mother would have died to a black mamba in my home in Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) if not for the family dobberman refuseing to allow us to enter the house because it knew what was inside, if the dog had not stoped us is virtually guaranteed we would have died as it was in the hallway but before the light switch so we would have stepped on it in the dark without seeing it (guess what is now our fav dog type ;) ) .

Other was an old 80's movie called venom that i saw when i was about 8, for many years afterwards could not get into bed without "patting down" my bed to check for snakes, hell actually still do it whenever i am in a country that has a native population of them (poisonious or not), Though if we get down to it more afraid of knowing that they might be around and not being able to see them, if i can see them generally less fussed.

The Lone Gunman
24th August 2005, 06:19
Snakes

whenever i am in a country that has a native population of them (poisonious or not), Though if we get down to it more afraid of knowing that they might be around and not being able to see them, if i can see them generally less fussed.Just for badness. I think you will find most countries (outside the arctic circle) have a snake poulation.
Am I just trying to play on your paranoia?
Am I telling the truth?

hyperD
24th August 2005, 06:43

Good cure for fear of flying AtW - start flying lessons.

Worked for me!

n5gooner
24th August 2005, 06:43
.net :rollin:

and the TAX man :rollin:

n5gooner
24th August 2005, 06:45
Just for badness. I think you will find most countries (outside the arctic circle) have a snake poulation.
Am I telling the truth?

Am i right in saying Ireland does not have snakes or New Zealand

wobbegong
24th August 2005, 06:55
I am afraid of flying on airplanes

Understandable, especially as they seem to be dropping out of the sky at the rate of one a week, at the moment.

Oh shit! There goes another one! This weeks' one is in Peru.

:eek:

The Lone Gunman
24th August 2005, 07:11
Am i right in saying Ireland does not have snakes or New ZealandShhhhhh I am playing on his paranoia. If I can just plant a seed of doubt he will be checking under the bed forever.

The Lone Gunman
24th August 2005, 07:28
I am afraid of climbing ladders. Anything more than six feet up and I am petrified.

It is not the heights. I am a reasonable rock climber and have bungied off the Vic falls bridge.

Chico
24th August 2005, 07:32

To be brutally honest, I fear no one, no circumstance, no event, no outcome, no obstacle - nothing.

As the Bible says …"If God is for us, who can be against us?" Rom 8:31 and "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." Psalm 23:4

Chico in "1 Corinthians 1:31 mode"

Lucifer Box
24th August 2005, 07:39
Chico scares me.

Chico, you should fear God.

http://www.feargod.com/fog_bback.jpg

http://www.feargod.com/

WageSlave
24th August 2005, 07:40
Heights never used to bother me. But with age I find my unease increases when I'm up a tall ladder, on the roof, cliff, etc. Not quite a fear yet, but given a few more years I'm sure it will be bungalow life for me!

Chico
24th August 2005, 07:43
LB for once I agree with you - I only fear God.

Chico
24th August 2005, 07:53
1 Samuel 12:24
But be sure to fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you.

Psalm 34:9
Fear the LORD, you his saints, for those who fear him lack nothing.

Proverbs 1:7
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

Proverbs 3:7
Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil.

Proverbs 22:4
Humility and the fear of the LORD bring wealth and honor and life.

n5gooner
24th August 2005, 07:56
Heights never used to bother me. But with age I find my unease increases when I'm up a tall ladder, on the roof, cliff, etc. Not quite a fear yet, but given a few more years I'm sure it will be bungalow life for me!

I'd second that - its a feal of falling I think - or the what would happen if I fell from here...........

wc2
24th August 2005, 08:00
The only 2 things I fear - In order are

- My wife
- Failure

How has Chico turned a reasonable post into a Bible session ?
Go to god.com forums !!

The Lone Gunman
24th August 2005, 08:05
I'd second that - its a feal of falling I think - or the what would happen if I fell from here...........I read once, and I can relate to the idea, that it is not the height, nor the drop, but actualy a fear that
a) You might fall off.
b) You might step or even jump off.

Remember it is not the fall that kills you, it is the sudden stop at the bottom!

WageSlave
24th August 2005, 08:12
The only 2 things I fear - In order are
- My wife

How could I forget... Yep, put that to the top of my list :spank:

Rebecca Loos
24th August 2005, 08:12
Two causes, first off both myself, as a toddler and my mother would have died to a black mamba in my home in Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) if not for the family dobberman refuseing to allow us to enter the house because it knew what was inside, if the dog had not stoped us is virtually guaranteed we would have died as it was in the hallway but before the light switch so we would have stepped on it in the dark without seeing it (guess what is now our fav dog type ) .

That's the kind of story I love - surely no argument here that dogs are our best friends!!

EternalOptimist
24th August 2005, 08:53
I am afraid that my pet mamba is not getting enough to eat

damn those Dobermans!!

:rolleyes:

wendigo100
24th August 2005, 09:17
Heights, including flying although it has never stopped me. And depths - I'd hate to be a caver, squeezing through all those tunnels.

Big spiders.

wobbegong
24th August 2005, 09:41
Big spiders.

I've always thought scorpions more revolting; part crab, part spider, part wierd stinging bastard!

n5gooner
24th August 2005, 09:54
but their not furry.....I didn't realize that you got spiders when pot holing?

OwlHoot
24th August 2005, 10:08
Just for badness. I think you will find most countries (outside the arctic circle) have a snake poulation.
Am I telling the truth?

Ireland doesn't have any snakes - St Patrick was supposed to have chased them all away.

n5gooner
24th August 2005, 10:10
so are we saying this is a god thing?

The Lone Gunman
24th August 2005, 10:10
Ireland doesn't have any snakes - St Patrick was supposed to have chased them all away.Read the entire thread mate. I answered this once with

Shhhhhh I am playing on his paranoia. If I can just plant a seed of doubt he will be checking under the bed forever.

Not So Wise
24th August 2005, 10:36
Yes i know already most countrys have snakes (ireland being one of the few exceptions). Thank god most countrys do not have deadly poisonious ones as these are the ones i fear :music:

But then again due to "scarring" by the evil nasty movie i occasional find myself checking even over here as that was based in the UK. Good movie if you like thrillers but don't let your young kids watch it unless you want them end up like me, basiclly boy likes snakes, buys new non venomous one at pet shop, gets given wrong one by mistake, snake escapes and kills nearly everyone in house by hiding in the bed, coming up drain pipe so forth, basicly no where is safe *shudders*

WageSlave
24th August 2005, 10:53
Yes i know already most countrys have snakes (ireland being one of the few exceptions). Thank god most countrys do not have deadly poisonious ones as these are the ones i fear :music:

NSW, hate to break it to you but England has a poisonous snake.

SupremeSpod
24th August 2005, 11:07
Death.

WageSlave
24th August 2005, 11:11
Spod, are you not afraid of failing the 33? :alien:

MrsGoof
24th August 2005, 11:16
Selotape on my fingernails :eek:

Used to work with a guy who could not touch polystyrene, we had hours of fun watching him unpack new PC's and servers.

Witchywoo
24th August 2005, 11:37
This is really sad, and I didn't realise how stupid it sounded until I told someone a few years ago.

I have to sleep with my ears covered as when I was 8, my sister in law read me an article about Jack the Ripper saying he would clip off his next victim's ears and ever since, I have to have them covered. The duvet or my hair does the job!!!!!

SupremeSpod
24th August 2005, 12:02
Spod, are you not afraid of failing the 33? :alien:

Not at all, are you?

WageSlave
24th August 2005, 12:06
Not at all, are you?

I'd need to be in the running to stand a chance of failing :alien:

Miserable old man
24th August 2005, 12:19
WS I thought you'd be afraid of not being able to post on CUK for more than a minute?

WageSlave
24th August 2005, 12:30
WS I thought you'd be afraid of not being able to post on CUK for more than a minute?

Oh, I see what you were doing there. A joke, right? Well done. Very funny.

Chico
24th August 2005, 12:33
Death.

Spod

For an atheist surely the fear of death is an irrational fear to have. In your view there is no judgement, no spritual consciousness, no eternal doom or eternal joy nothing so whats there to be scared of?

Normie
24th August 2005, 12:38

I'm afraid of intelligent women - luckily for me, I haven't encountered many.

DimPrawn
24th August 2005, 12:45
I'm afriad of my wife catching me with my string of mistresses. ;)

n5gooner
24th August 2005, 13:12
u too :eek: how many mistresses are there out there - prehaps there should be a central Db - any monkeys out there who can create one?

Normie
24th August 2005, 13:29
I'm afriad of my wife catching me with my string of mistresses. ;)

Let me guess - you live in Walcott, Park North or Penhill and you're working your way through all of the single mothers?

shaunbhoy
24th August 2005, 13:44
The thing that would scare me most would be getting stuck in a lift with Chico.

xoggoth
24th August 2005, 13:49
Heights. Flying. Waking up unable to move. Going deaf. Feeling unreal.

Not So Wise
24th August 2005, 13:59
Please don't give me nightmares like that please

Francko
24th August 2005, 14:01
Remember you best friend is a guy called Frankie Fear. If you can control it it will burn for you, but if you let Frankie controls you it will burn you out.

DimPrawn
24th August 2005, 14:18
Let me guess - you live in Walcott, Park North or Penhill and you're working your way through all of the single mothers?

Scarily close to the truth.

It's amazing what they'll do forra fiver.

:hug:

:moon:
:banana:

:freaky:

:cool2:

n5gooner
24th August 2005, 14:25
fiver a trick - who rates are rising ! I only pay the .net monkeys £2.50

:music:

wobbegong
24th August 2005, 14:26
Heights. Flying. Waking up unable to move. Going deaf. Feeling unreal.

Pretty average Sunday morning really.

:freaky:

SupremeSpod
24th August 2005, 14:37
fiver a trick - who rates are rising ! I only pay the .net monkeys £2.50

:music:

You're pissed again, aren't you? :freaky:

Lucifer Box
24th August 2005, 15:08
Hey, moderator, this thread is just getting nasty now.

n5gooner
24th August 2005, 15:20
You're pissed again, aren't you? :freaky:

opps hiccup.:rollin:

datestamp
24th August 2005, 16:25
I am afraid of climbing ladders. Anything more than six feet up and I am petrified.
No probs - I will go up any ladder, sway about a bit, listen to the rungs creek a bit (must go on a diet), and generally bunny hop the ladder across a few inches. But go on the roof :eek: No thanks ! If Chico thinks we should be scared of God, perhaps God sits up there on the roof and pushes people off. :wave:

As for poisonous snakes - as long as there aren't too many varieties it can't be all bad. As long as the local hosi has plenty of snake anti-venom, and a big colour chart of what they look like. However, some countries have so many, and are so large that you can be hours away from the hosi - then you're in big trouble.

There was a nice news story a couple of years ago, about a drunken bum in Queensland who lost a hand and part of an arm due to a snake. It bit him when he was p*ssed. So the snake was put in a sack (for identification ??? for amusement?? because they were aussies?) and they drove him to hosi. Unfortunately he was bitten another 27 times (I think) when he kept on putting his hand in the bag (to give the snake a good hiding???). Perhaps it is a better idea to keep a polaroid camera in the car to capture the snake on film, rather than a sack to capture the snake and get bitten repeatedly.

"For some stupid reason I stuck my hand back in the bag...."

What's more dangerous - a snake or a drunken aussie ?? :cool3:

TwoWolves
24th August 2005, 18:16
The bill I received this morning from the Inland Revenue certainly scared the hell out of me. Especially as I have only just got back from my honeymoon and am out of work at the moment and paying it would clear me out! Blimey those guy's are bastards.

Also frightened of snakes. So sympathy to Rebecca.

WGAS
24th August 2005, 18:58
The only thing I have to fear, is fear itself :cool:

WGAS
24th August 2005, 19:01

So you're afraid of tall girls wearing stockings ;)

ahardy66
24th August 2005, 23:19
i fear the sky falling on my head :help:

The Lone Gunman
25th August 2005, 06:18
So you're afraid of tall girls wearing stockings ;)erm.....................excuse me.........................

n5gooner
25th August 2005, 06:44
I'm afraid that if I get cut up much more on my way into work then I won't be responsible for my actions ! :eek:

Churchill
25th August 2005, 07:11
I'm afraid that if I get cut up much more on my way into work then I won't be responsible for my actions ! :eek:

Not to worry, you'll get pissed again at lunchtime and driving home won't be that much of a problem, will it?

I'm afraid of driving home on the same road as n5gooner...

WageSlave
25th August 2005, 08:05
I'm afraid of driving home on the same road as n5gooner...

I'm afraid of cars driven by small dogs :eek:

The Lone Gunman
25th August 2005, 08:06
erm.....................excuse me.........................Thats better, don't do that to me so early in the morning.