• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Money

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money

Ok, here's a question that's bothered me a while, (simplified scenario):

I buy 100 shares in UK in UKP, of German company listed on German stock exchange. The shares are 1 Euro each.

At the time 1 UKP = 2 euro

So in buying 100 shares I spend 50 UKP.

Next day 1 UKP sinks to 1 euro.

Do my shares then become worth 100 UKP ?
    Last edited by ace00; 25 August 2008, 12:43. Reason: cause I is thick
    Bored.

Yes, 100 UKP.
    Last edited by bored; 25 August 2008, 12:57.

Comment

Originally posted by bored View Post
      No, 100 UKP.
      That's what I meant (edited post).
      This kind of brainism is way out of my league.
      Bored.

Comment

GBP
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
          Ok, here's a question that's bothered me a while, (simplified scenario):

I buy 100 shares in UK in UKP, of German company listed on German stock exchange. The shares are 1 Euro each.

So in buying 100 shares I spend 50 UKP.

Do my shares then become worth 100 UKP ?
          Nice edit
          "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Ok, next:

I buy 100 shares in UK in UKP for 1 UKP each, of an investment fund investing in German companies, trading in Euro, listed on German stock exchange. The investment fund itself is listed on the UK stock exchange and the holdings in UKP.

In buying 100 shares I spend 100 UKP.

Am I right to assume my investment remain at 100 UKP (but the corresponding purchasing power reduces to 100 euro, from 200)?
            Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
              Ok, next:

I buy 100 shares in UK in UKP for 1 UKP each, of an investment fund investing in German companies, trading in Euro, listed on German stock exchange. The investment fund itself is listed on the UK stock exchange and the holdings in UKP.

In buying 100 shares I spend 100 UKP.

Am I right to assume my investment remain at 100 UKP (but the corresponding purchasing power reduces to 100 euro, from 200)?
              Not quite.

Assuming all other things are equal then:

When you buy £100 worth of shares, that is spent on €200 worth of stuff (German companies).

The next day, the stuff is still worth €200, so it is now worth £200, your 100 shares will be worth £200.

Comment

On a similar note:

I have an L&G tracker ISA that follows the FTSE Asia Pacific (ex Japan) index. I thought I'd gain if the pound fell, but as it's in pounds I'm not so sure it works like that.

As the index is listed in GPB, does that mean the index automatically rises if the pound falls against asian currencies, or does the value of the listed companies remain the same in GPB?
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

here's a question that's bothered me since I started reading this thread. what is it about?

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    Not quite.

Assuming all other things are equal then:

When you buy £100 worth of shares, that is spent on €200 worth of stuff (German companies).

The next day, the stuff is still worth €200, so it is now worth £200, your 100 shares will be worth £200.
                    And this would then apply if the investment where an ISA? So same scenario, buy a "German companies ISA", goes from 7000£ to 14000£ ? Is it that simple?
                    Bored.

Comment

Working...
                    X