• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in Finland or Sweden

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

i'm looking at a contract role that may be based in Stockholm or Helsinki.

Either would require travel to the other.

I cannot find any details on contracting in Finland, and Sweden details are few and far between.

Could anyone shed some light on the merits of the 2? Which would be best for a 4 month stint.

Id prefer a flat than living in a hotel. And obviously, which one will let me take home more $$

Any help appreciated,

Thanks
    TM
    Last edited by themistry; 26 August 2008, 10:39.

ok, lets change this a bit

Would you prefer to be in Stockholm or Helsinki? Which is more expensive to live in?

Thanks
    TM
    Last edited by themistry; 26 August 2008, 10:38.

Comment

Stockholm
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by themistry View Post
        Hi all,

i'm looking at a contract role that may be based in Stockholm or Helsinki.

Either would require travel to the other.

I cannot find any details on contracting in Finland, and Sweden details are few and far between.

Could anyone shed some light on the merits of the 2? Which would be best for a 4 month stint.

Id prefer a flat than living in a hotel. And obviously, which one will let me take home more $$

Any help appreciated,

Thanks
        TM
        Sweden will happily let you work there for 4 months without declaring your income for tax, they will expect you to declare it in your home country (but I doubt that they will check).

You will be very very lucky to find a flat to rent arriving in September, you will be at the back of the queue behind thousands of students.

Tim

Comment

Hi

I am contracting for a company UK company - and spend most of my time in Stockholm.

getting an apartment - well - in 99% of the cases you need a Swedish registration number, unless you pay cash but these are like rocking horse p**h.
          hotels are expensive , in fact everything is very expensive , - decent one course meal in the evening is KR 150-250 (£13-22) . Beer is @KR 54 a pint upwards.( £5.00)

If you look around you can get a midday lunch for £8-9 pounds - this is a Swedish speciality.

If you can try and get a contract that includes travel/hotels/food and laundry. there is only 1 launderette in Stockholm. All apartments have a laundry room by law so they do not need them. To get a pair of jeans washed(not dry cleaned!) in a hotel cost you £12.00 upwards depending on the hotel.

After all the taxes the goverment slapped another 25% tax on most items you want to buy. Food / clothes / accommodation is classified as a luxury .

It is nice here though - very clean city, not a lot of crime, very few drunks etc ( getting drunk is really frowned upon, and the police come down very heavy handed if it is public).

If you are here for more than 3 months you need to get a residency permit. More than 6 and you have to pay tax and NI (40% minimum).

Comment

Originally posted by TrickyDicky View Post
            Hi

I am contracting for a company UK company - and spend most of my time in Stockholm.

getting an apartment - well - in 99% of the cases you need a Swedish registration number, unless you pay cash but these are like rocking horse p**h.
            hotels are expensive , in fact everything is very expensive , - decent one course meal in the evening is KR 150-250 (£13-22) . Beer is @KR 54 a pint upwards.( £5.00)

If you look around you can get a midday lunch for £8-9 pounds - this is a Swedish speciality.

If you can try and get a contract that includes travel/hotels/food and laundry. there is only 1 launderette in Stockholm. All apartments have a laundry room by law so they do not need them. To get a pair of jeans washed(not dry cleaned!) in a hotel cost you £12.00 upwards depending on the hotel.

After all the taxes the goverment slapped another 25% tax on most items you want to buy. Food / clothes / accommodation is classified as a luxury .

It is nice here though - very clean city, not a lot of crime, very few drunks etc ( getting drunk is really frowned upon, and the police come down very heavy handed if it is public).

If you are here for more than 3 months you need to get a residency permit. More than 6 and you have to pay tax and NI (40% minimum).
            Part of the reason why I insist my client pays an allowance when I'm out that way. I've managed a £40 - £50 daily allowance in the past.

I agree about the crime/drunk in public, same in Norway, makes for a refreshing change.

PS can you not reset you resident status by returning the UK at least every month or so? I know this was the case while I was in Norway the authorities did not have a problem with it.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X