• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

British Airways - explain this...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Airways - explain this...

A British airways flight from LHR to Sao Paolo is £1000

The British Airways flight from Barcelona via LHR to Sao Paolo is £750

On the same dates.

Could I just get on at LHR?

Or am I missing something?

... is the 'carbon emmisions offset charge' a load of old cock?

Originally posted by Fishface View Post

On the same dates.

If you do not get on at Barcelona then BA will automatically cancel your next flight.

What you are experiencing is what airlines try with their pricing to get the most revenue from each market, so flying from the UK is deemed more valuable to BA ie they think they can get more money out of the brits than Europeans.

Trying it out in the reverse sometimes works, e.g. look at the prices to Sao Paulo on Air France, KLM or Iberia, downside is though that you do not get a direct flight.

Cheers
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

On the same dates.

Seems to be a lot of it about. I was looking at a flight for xmas nye break and it's £667 from LHR, change at AMS. Direct from AMS (same plane)? Over 1000 euro! I don't think it's just taxes but country specific marketing too.
      Carbon emmisions offset charge is essential for future of planet - poor people must not fly.
      Bored.

Comment

On the same dates.

No, you couldn't. If you got away with it on the day, they would come back and charge you the difference later.

You are indeed missing something: Spaniards can only be persuaded to pay £750, so that is their price. Brits can be persuaded to pay £1000, so that is what they have to pay.

Businesses don't call us Treasure Island for nothing.

Comment

Is that some weird curvature of the earth thing, or is my geography a little confused?
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

http://www.tysknews.com/LiteStuff/buying_paint.htm

B00med!

Comment

"Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                No, you couldn't. If you got away with it on the day, they would come back and charge you the difference later.

You are indeed missing something: Spaniards can only be persuaded to pay £750, so that is their price. Brits can be persuaded to pay £1000, so that is what they have to pay.

Businesses don't call us Treasure Island for nothing.

No that's not the reason.

The reason is that the BCN-LHR-GRU is an indirect flight. In order to get people to book indirect, airlines have to charge less.

If you look, you will almost certainly find that a direct flight (if such a thing exists) from BCN-GLU is the same price as direct LHR - GRU. (and an indirect flight LHR-BCN-GRU is 750).

tim

Comment

You can fly to Barcelona for the square root of feck all on one of the cheapy carriers, even if you need to stop there for a day or two you will save cash. Barcelona isn't a bad city to be in for a visit either so a bit of a win-win.

Comment

or book using http://www.expedia.com.au
                    Price for people down under is around £840 and ticket will be valid for you Direct.

Comment

Working...
                    X