• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying for a car privately

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying for a car privately

If you were going to hand over > £10K for a 2nd had car (privately), would you:

1. Go see, buy leave a deposit (how much?) and pay the balance when you collect (cash)?

2. Go armed with all the cash, buy and drive away same day (and leave your car there to pick up later/ in a few days)?

3. Go, pay cash deposit if you buy, wire (BACS) rest to account, wait a few days and go collect?

4. Something else.

Looking at buying a car for track days, and most are private sales.

TIA

Or take friend who can drive away for you.

Or borrow a trailer that you can stick track day car on as it might not be road legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post

Or borrow a trailer that you can stick track day car on as it might not be road legal.
      What the Sockpuppet said.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post

Cars are all road legal (not track day special), taking a friend is not that convenient as all my friends are heavily married, old, disinterested in cars and busy.

Most important question is how to pay? All cash, cash deposit or what?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Cars are all road legal (not track day special), taking a friend is not that convenient as all my friends are heavily married, old, disinterested in cars and busy.

Most important question is how to pay? All cash, cash deposit or what?
          I'd pay all cash, but only after I'd had the car inspected. Fortunately for me several of the friends I would take are rather good with cars as they're racing types.

Comment

1. Go see, buy leave a deposit (how much?) and pay the balance when you collect (cash)?

2. Go armed with all the cash, buy and drive away same day (and leave your car there to pick up later/ in a few days)?

3. Go, pay cash deposit if you buy, wire (BACS) rest to account, wait a few days and go collect?

4. Something else.

TIA
            Leave a deposit by cheque, say 10% and arrange the financials afterwards, probably best to do the major transaction at a bank. Anyone dodgy won't like this, genuine sellers won't mind though
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              I'd pay all cash, but only after I'd had the car inspected. Fortunately for me several of the friends I would take are rather good with cars as they're racing types.

I'd never pay all cash just in case the deal was dodgy. A cheque will at least leave an audit trail. I once worked in a bank and a customer had bought a car with no engine by cheque. Fortunately, they were able to stop the cheque in time!!! They would not have got their cash back, I am sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                I'd never pay all cash just in case the deal was dodgy. A cheque will at least leave an audit trail. I once worked in a bank and a customer had bought a car with no engine by cheque. Fortunately, they were able to stop the cheque in time!!! They would not have got their cash back, I am sure.
                Oh I would do HPI checks etc, but I made the assumption that common sense stuff like mechanical and financial checks would be done before parting with any cash at all.

Comment

I'd certainly get a track car AA checked. The likelyhood it's been bent at some point must be pretty high.

PS I thought Ginetta did a new track car for about 15k?

edit: http://www.ginettacars.com/G20.htm

You can even enter a championship with it
                  Last edited by Bagpuss; 26 August 2008, 18:16.
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

4. Something else.

TIA
                    Where is the Go, pay cash deposit in 1p/2p's and pay the balance in Clubcard points and via PayPal option?

Comment

Working...
                    X