• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dragons den last night

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dragons den last night

Did anyone see the woman selling her furniture business? She was on benefits yet had a company with an 180k turnover. She had sold another business for 11k but was getting the money in installments in order to avoid loss of said benefits. She reckoned she needed 60k earning from the business in order to leave benefits.

Beggars belief!

Surely this is a prime example of benefit fraud?

The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Did anyone see the woman selling her furniture business? She was on benefits yet had a company with an 180k turnover. She had sold another business for 11k but was getting the money in installments in order to avoid loss of said benefits. She reckoned she needed 60k earning from the business in order to leave benefits.

Beggars belief!

on some levels - yes. on another level - she could just have stayed on benefits. She said once company year end came she would be off benefits.

Comment

Beggars belief!

Not fraud, just another example of a crazy benefits system that the aggrieved taxpayer is financing thanks to you know who.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
        Not fraud, just another example of a crazy benefits system that the aggrieved taxpayer is financing thanks to you know who.
        I BLAME ALL THE IMMIGRANTS USING MY WHEELIE BIN TO CLAIM FREE BENEFITS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          on some levels - yes. on another level - she could just have stayed on benefits. She said once company year end came she would be off benefits.
          Germany also said it wouldn't invade Poland.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            I BLAME ALL THE IMMIGRANTS USING MY WHEELIE BIN TO CLAIM FREE BENEFITS!!!

Another leftie nutter

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
              Germany also said it wouldn't invade Poland.
              People who could stay on benefits but start businesses are unlikely to break the law. I accept it is possible.

Comment

If you have turned over 180k, then in my book you shouldn't be on benefits, creative accounting was the only reason she still was
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

If you have turned over 180k, then in my book you shouldn't be on benefits, creative accounting was the only reason she still was
                  Its her duty to do the best she can. She did nothing illegal. She could have done nothing and stayed on benefits.

Do you apply IR35 to your limited? Of course you don't! If the government implified the rules and behaved fairly instead of squeezing us covertly for every penny - then they would get alot more tax revenue.

Comment

More importantly it looked like tulip overpriced furniture to me.

But fair play to her. She could just stay on very well paid benefits for another 10 years.

Comment

Working...
                    X